Subject: RE: [Dev] Oracle's JDeveloper 9i on RedHat 7.1

From: "Vestal, Roy L." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:36:04 -0400

I've had some problems with Sun's JDK under Linux and Oracle 9i. I used
Blackdown's JDK, which was recommended in the Oracle 9i docs as well, and it
seems to have cleared for me.

www.blackdown.org JDK v1.1.8 worked ok.

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Bryan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 19, 2002 1:18 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Dev] Oracle's JDeveloper 9i on RedHat 7.1

I'm trying to use Oracle's JDeveloper 9i on a RedHat 7.1 at work.  It 
installed fine.  I can start it and set up a project and edit code.  When I 
try to build any code (even HelloWorld.java), I get the following lame
error:

Compiling...
Internal compilation error, terminated with a fatal exception

That's it!  I can compile the code with the JDK 1.3.1 that I specified to 
JDeveloper in its jdev.conf file.  Before I go down the path of Oracle TAR 
Hell, I thought that I'd ask here first.  Has anyone else tried this (or a 
similar Java IDE)?  Any success/failure stories to share?  Any idea how I
can 
extract something more informative than the error message I'm getting from 
JDeveloper?

Thanks,
---Tom
_______________________________________________
Dev mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

---

From: Tom Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:58:05 +0500

On Thursday 20 June 2002 05:36 pm, Vestal, Roy L. wrote:
> I've had some problems with Sun's JDK under Linux and Oracle 9i. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've had no problems with Sun's JDK on the Linux 
machine (compiling from the command line).  It turns out that there was a 
problem with JDeveloper's jdev.conf file.  I think that the line was the one 
with JDEV_USER_HOME, a variable that makes shared installs on a Windows 
machine work.  JDeveloper was looking for that variable to figure out where 
my home directory was.  Since I didn't have that environment variable set, it 
defaulted to using the software's install directory, for which I had limited 
permissions of course.  I had to comment out the line in the jdev.conf file 
(or set the variable).  When I commented out the line, it seemed to be happy 
with using the HOME variable.  The jdev.conf file worked fine if I had 
JDeveloper installed such that my user owned all of the files and 
directories. 

Anyway, now it's working.

Thanks,
---Tom