Subject: [Dev] Open Source and CVS

From: "M. Mueller/bhu5nji" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:40:37 -0500

How do I go about learning the ways of open source development including the 
uses of CVS and Sourceforge?

I am OK with RCS.

Mike

---

From: Benjamin Reed <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:03:00 -0500

M. Mueller/bhu5nji wrote:

> How do I go about learning the ways of open source development including

 > the uses of CVS and Sourceforge?

> I am OK with RCS.

The best resource for CVS is the CVS Book: http://cvsbook.red-bean.com/

The important technical bits on getting started with CVS and how to use 
it for everyday development are available in the free (online) version 
at that site.  The full (print) version has other information including 
best practices and managing large trees and other esoteric stuff.

It really is a great book and worth buying.  Reminds me, I need to stop 
borrowing Brian's at work and get my own.  =)

---

From: Tom Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:22:06 +0500

On Thursday 17 January 2002 05:40 am, M. Mueller/bhu5nji wrote:
> How do I go about learning the ways of open source development 

Join a project. :-)

I know that www.ecoaccess.org is about to start a new round of recruitment 
for volunteers.  It is somewhat more structured that many open source 
projects, so it might be a good first project if you're interested in Python, 
Zope, PostgreSQL, and/or Triangle-area environmental issues.

> the uses of CVS and Sourceforge?

For CVS, I found that 
http://www.red-bean.com/cvsbook/
gave a pretty good introduction.  It provided some practical advice for those 
who are new to CVS or some of its features in addition to plenty of "how to 
do X."  That is, it's more than a manual (like the Per Cederqvist reference, 
which you'll probably eventually use).

For SourceForge, the best way is probably to join a SourceForge project.  If 
you like Perl, Python, and/or C++, I'm responsible for a project that needs 
help.

---Tom

---

From: Brent Verner <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:27:50 -0500

[2002-01-16 19:40] M. Mueller/bhu5nji said:
| How do I go about learning the ways of open source development including the 
| uses of CVS and Sourceforge?

cvs one-stop-goodness.
  http://www.cvshome.org/

If you have specific questions, I'm sure the readership of this list
would have the answer pretty quickly.

  b

-- 
"Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are 
really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough
to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman

---

From: "M. Mueller/bhu5nji" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 04:37:44 -0500

On Wednesday 16 January 2002 11:22 pm, you wrote:

> For SourceForge, the best way is probably to join a SourceForge project. 
> If you like Perl, Python, and/or C++, I'm responsible for a project that
> needs help.

What's shakin?

---

From: Tom Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2002 22:56:41 +0500

> > If you like Perl, Python, and/or C++, I'm responsible for a project that

The project I was going to mention is PERCEPS, which I was in the process of 
moving to SourceForge last fall.  (http://www.sf.net/projects/perceps/)  I 
haven't been working on it since October or so, but I'd like to get back to 
it this year.

While PERCEPS isn't Linux-specific, the other project that I mentioned 
(www.ecoaccess.org, http://www.sf.net/projects/ecoaccess/) is Linux-based.  
They're assuming a Red Hat Linux platform at the moment.  To help new 
developers set up their machines quickly, I was banging my head against RPM 
for a few months last fall to package up the software that the project 
requires.

---Tom