Subject: [Dev] Re: [TriLUG] Don't get involved in Trilug...you might post *gasp* off topic.

From: Brent Verner <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 00:08:07 -0500

[2002-02-19 22:54] Craig Duncan said:
| As an advocate for the creation of the dev list, I had no idea that it would 
| turn into a "Reading Circle" list. But rather it turn up there than on the 
| general tri-lug list of which the posts are way too numerous to really keep 
| up.

What traffic would you prefer the dev@ list to have?  I certainly 
didn't imagine the dev@ would have the "Reading Circle" thread(s), 
but it's good that the readership actually /have/ that forum for that 
discussion.  (Bias disclaimer: I am very interested in the reading
circle thread.)

You should open discussion on a topic you /do/ want to see on dev@.
It is open to any linux development topics, so send your questions,
comments, revelations, doh!s or most recent cool hack on over :-)

| ... should we have a reading circle list?

If the majority of the dev@ readership expresses similar feelings, I'd 
accept the discussion being split off, maybe at groups.yahoo or some
other non-trilug service.  Certainly, if the reading group discussion
becomes off-topic for linux development, then it is by association
OT from a linux LUG.  I hoped that the readership of dev@ would be
on-the-whole interested, since it should really be a free-for-all-
development-applicable-to-linux list, IMO, and good design is a totally
desirable skill for a linux developer to have.  If you don't like the
current traffic, change it by sending your questions, comments, 
revelations. &c. to that list.  I /will/ fight to keep the dev@ list
open to almost any development discussion, and I think forcing the
reading group discussion off would be a bad precedent to set.  In fact,
I hope the reading group can do something to share its adventures 
with the list members who don't come out to the meetings.

cheers.
  brent

-- 
"Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are 
really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough
to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman