Subject: Re: [Dev] Reading Circle

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 11:55:19 -0500

> Quality open design is specific to GNU/Linux (and other open systems)
IMO.
> We are studying principles applied in these systems.

True.

> Time: Saturday or Sunday afternoons are good for me depending on the
> frequency of the meetings.

I was thinking twice a month might be good.  Maybe every other Saturday,
sometime in the afternoon?

> How do these things work? Is it assumed that the
> participants have read the entire book, part of the book, or none of the
book?

Well, to be honest, I've never participated in one of these before either.
So I don't really how it's "supposed" to work... but it's our circle
so we can do whatever we want, I guess.  I was thinking that we could
agree to read a certain portion of the book between each meeting.

IE, at the first meeting we all agree to read, say, chapters 1-3.  Then
at the next meeting, we'd discuss chapters 1-3, and agree to read
chapter 4-5 for the next meeting.. or, maybe we'd decide we needed
more time on 1-3...    Whatever.. it's up to us.

> Location not an issue.  When weather permits, I have a nice tin-roofed
> outdoor seating area in 5 points Raleigh that accomodates 8-10.  Has AC
and
> DSL too.  Comes with galvanized tub full of ice and water that's good for

> chilling and storing refreshments.

Cool!

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
[email-masked]

America is at war with Afghanistan.  America has always been at war with
Afghanistan.  Russia is our ally.  Russia has always been our ally.

Read Orwell's 1984.  Read a newspaper.  Fear the future.

The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty
is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
- Woodrow Wilson Speech in New York, September 9, 1912

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2002 17:52:31 -0500

> I've never seen the other book.  I've read most of the GoF book.  If
you're
> currently a software developer doing object-oriented development in Java,

> C++, Python, etc., then I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the GoF book.
> <snip>
> This book is, IMHO, an excellent choice for a
> reading group because it is one where hearing diverse points of view and
> drawing on different people's backgrounds can really add a lot to the
book.

Starting right in on the GoF book is Ok with me, personally.  From what
I've read of the book,
I find the material to be quite accessible, without any need for any
"advanced" knowledge
or anything.

I just wanted to offer up the possibility of starting with something else,
in case some might be
intimidated by the GoF book.  Honestly though, I agree with Tom.  We could
start there safely,
I'm pretty sure.

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:35:36 -0500

> Correct-o-mundo.  Big pecan tree.  Tin roof.  Galvanized tub full of ice
and
> refreshments.  Design patterns. STL.  OO.  What could be better?

Not much.

(God, that answer makes me sound like such a geek... LOL )

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 18:37:41 -0500

> The outdoor facility is available. 3/9 1p-3p.  Please send a request for
> driving directions.  I'll respond privatley later this evening.
Are we going to Mike's place then?  Or Brent's office??  I'm Ok with
either... just let me know
what the rest of you guys are planning, so I don't show up at the wrong
place!

Mike, if you don't mind, could you send me the driving directions, to my
other e-mail address, [email-masked]?

Thanks,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
[email-masked]