Subject: [Dev] module location

From: "John F Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 09:50:46 -0500

Hello

At work we debating the location of module files.  We are building some
custom modules
and I'm thinking that they don't need to be in the lib/modules/2.4.x/misc
dir.  Especially since
we can have more than one version of the  module.

Has anybody ever seen a module outside the lib/modules/2.4.x filesystem?

JD

---

From: "David A. Cafaro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:07:45 -0500

Are they kernel modules or modules for other software?  For example Apache 
modules go into /etc/httpd/modules (well the symlink to 
/usr/lib/apache).  I'm not an expert but I would guess you could put them 
anywhere as long as your software knows how (where) to find them.

David

At 09:50 AM 2/21/2002, you wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>Dev mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

---

From: Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:51:47 -0500

> we can have more than one version of the  module.

Well, what do they do?  There's a bunch of module 'types' in
/lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel/drivers/
 
> Has anybody ever seen a module outside the lib/modules/2.4.x filesystem?

Yeah, actually.  The wireless LAN drivers can be used without being
installed in the 'main' modules directory.  

It's non-standard to not put them in the main modules directory, but
certainly doable.

Mike
-- 
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost

GNUPG Key fingerprint = ACD2 2F2F C151 FB35 B3AF  C821 89C4 DF9A 5DDD 95D1
GNUPG Key = http://www.enoch.org/mike/mike.pubkey.asc

---

From: "M. Mueller (bhu5nji)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:46:35 -0500

I would research the dependance of tools like depmod to function as expected 
if a kernel module were placed outside the /lib/modules/....... path.

Mike M.