Subject: [Dev] Reading group update

From: John Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 13:29:22 -0500

Since I was unable to attend the reading group on Saturday, can someone
tell me how it went?

Regards,
matt

-- 
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ [email-masked]  \____________   /\\
Dept. of Mathematics\ http://www.math.duke.edu/~jvmatthe/ \ _\_V

---

From: "M. Mueller (bhu5nji)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 22:36:55 -0500

My overall impression is that this is going to work out pretty well.  

It was a meet and greet session.  We cracked the book.  The C++ inside is not 
daunting (unlike the STL Fibonacci series in error messages torture device).  
On comment made in the meeting that stuck with me was that the book offers a 
language as well as technique.  If more people adopted the design pattern 
language there would be increased efficiency in communication.  Soon a 
decorator will mean more to you than just being a person featured on HGTV.

The group agreed to read the first section (Chap 1 and 2) for the next 
meeting March 9.

The venue is spacious, attractive, and smells of new carpet.

We discussed using the [email-masked] for discussion.  We decided we would 
use it until we got booted off (at least that was what I decided the outcome 
was; somebody please correct me if I misunderstood). 

-- 
Mike  M.

Support TriLUG. Reply directly for details on how to send a check.
No amount is too small.

Subscribe to all the TriLUG lists at http://trilug.org/mailman/listinfo

---

From: Jon Carnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 23:20:36 -0500

On Monday 25 February 2002 10:36 pm, M. Mueller (bhu5nji) wrote:

> use it until we got booted off (at least that was what I decided the
> outcome was; somebody please correct me if I misunderstood).

I am hoping to read along - but I can't attend the meetings, so I would 
appreciate the discussion on the list. 

Jon Carnes

---

From: Tanner Lovelace <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 23:28:58 -0500

> daunting (unlike the STL Fibonacci series in error messages torture device).

Torture device?  So, does that make me a torturer?!? Hmmmm... :-/ :-)
  
> was; somebody please correct me if I misunderstood). 

Please, please do use [email-masked].  Although I don't really
have time to go to the meetings, I would love to hear the extra
discussion (I do have the book for reference).

Tanner (thinking of what other "torture devices" he can come up with..:)
-- 
Tanner Lovelace | [email-masked] | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
GPG Fingerprint = A66C 8660 924F 5F8C 71DA  BDD0 CE09 4F8E DE76 39D4
GPG Key can be found at http://wtl.wayfarer.org/lovelace.gpg.asc
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
 Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little 
 order, will lose both and deserve neither.  --  Benjamin Franklin 

 History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times
 of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to 
 endure.  --  Justice Thurgood Marshall, 1989

---

From: Matt Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 00:41:12 -0500

> The group agreed to read the first section (Chap 1 and 2) for the next 

Blast! Yet another meeting I can't attend. :^\ (This includes the next TriLUG
too. :^( )

I've read chapters 1 & 2 before, but I'll read them again. If anything strikes
me as discussion-worthy, I'll post here.

Regards,
matt