Subject: Re: [Dev] module location

From: "David A. Cafaro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:08:11 -0500

Are they kernel modules or modules for other software?  For example Apache 
modules go into /etc/httpd/modules (well the symlink to 
/usr/lib/apache).  I'm not an expert but I would guess you could put them 
anywhere as long as your software knows how (where) to find them.

David

At 09:50 AM 2/21/2002, you wrote:
>Hello
>
>At work we debating the location of module files.  We are building some
>custom modules
>and I'm thinking that they don't need to be in the lib/modules/2.4.x/misc
>dir.  Especially since
>we can have more than one version of the  module.
>
>Has anybody ever seen a module outside the lib/modules/2.4.x filesystem?
>
>JD
>
>_______________________________________________
>Dev mailing list
>[email-masked]
>http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

---

From: "John F Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:31:05 -0500

Hello

Are the apache modules soemthing that you insmod?   These are insmod
modules (device drivers).

JD

"David A. Cafaro" <[email-masked]>@trilug.org on 02/21/2002 10:07:45 AM

Please respond to [email-masked]

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:    Re: [Dev] module location

David

---

From: "John F Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 11:04:59 -0500

Well here's the deal.  We build these modules and insmod them all day long
using
this type syntax, insmod ./foo.o or insmod versionx/foo.o or versiony/foo.o

Which is perfectly cool.   As an alternative you can have foo_pristine.o
and foo_extra_printks_included.o
Then insmod foo_pristine and insmod foo_extra_prints_included
But if you don't change the names then you can't have two different
versions.
insmod foo and insmod foo

I'm thinking I'm going to do this one the way my buddy wants, even though
its
more work for me.  Which also means that the user cant have two differnt
versions
laying around as a result of my build scripts.

JD

Mike Johnson <[email-masked]>@trilug.org on 02/21/2002 10:51:47 AM

To:    [email-masked]
cc:

> we can have more than one version of the  module.

Well, what do they do?  There's a bunch of module 'types' in
/lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel/drivers/

> Has anybody ever seen a module outside the lib/modules/2.4.x filesystem?

Yeah, actually.  The wireless LAN drivers can be used without being
installed in the 'main' modules directory.

It's non-standard to not put them in the main modules directory, but
certainly doable.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost

GNUPG Key fingerprint = ACD2 2F2F C151 FB35 B3AF  C821 89C4 DF9A 5DDD 95D1
GNUPG Key = http://www.enoch.org/mike/mike.pubkey.asc