Subject: Re: [Dev] Reading Circle

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:42:40 -0500

Hey guys, I was just thinking about something...  I think we have
somewhere in the neighborhoold of 8-10 people showing interest
in this so far.  Out of that,  I figure we'll get may 5-7 regular
participants.
It could be more, but realistically, any time you poll of bunch of
people about doing something, a full 100% of those who express
interest almost never actually do participate...

So, anyway, what I'm wondering is this.. how big do we *want* this thing
to be?  I'm pretty comfortable with the idea of 5-7, on average, with
maybe as many as 10.  However, I was mulling the idea of asking
the local Java community (via the Tri-JUG mailing list ) if anybody
was interested...  but, I'm a little timid about doing so, because
I get the feeling that there is a LOT of interest in patterns in that
camp, and doing so might result in a huge explosion in people
wanting to participate in this.

Not to intentionally try to exclude anybody...but I don't think
a group like this should be much bigger than about 10 people,
or it gets unwieldy.

So, my question is...  should we post to Tri-JUG and advertise
the existence of our group there, or just keep things like they are?

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
[email-masked]

America is at war with Afghanistan.  America has always been at war with
Afghanistan.  Russia is our ally.  Russia has always been our ally.

Read Orwell's 1984.  Read a newspaper.  Fear the future.

The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty
is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
- Woodrow Wilson Speech in New York, September 9, 1912

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

---

From: Brent Verner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 18:49:26 -0500

[2002-02-19 18:42] [email-masked] said:
| 
  [very good points snipped]
| So, my question is...  should we post to Tri-JUG and advertise
| the existence of our group there, or just keep things like they are?

I had the same thought ;-)  I (tentatively) agree with you on the
optimal size issue, and would suggest a few meetings at the current
projected size.  After that, we could decide if potentially increasing
the group would be beneficial or not.

  brent

-- 
"Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are 
really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough
to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman

---

From: Tom Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 23:58:59 +0500

On Wednesday 20 February 2002 04:42 am, [email-masked] wrote:

> maybe as many as 10.  

Strong recommendation for keeping it in the 10 to 20 people range.  More than 
that, and it will tend to become less of a discussion group and more of a 
lecture by a few of the people in the group. 

I might be wrong, but that's been my experience.  It's better if most of 
those present can actively participate.  Better for everyone that way.

Will the meeting space have a whiteboard, chalkboard, and/or overhead?  
Design Patterns almost requires UML and pseudo-code during discussion.

---Tom