Subject: [Dev] C++ book recommendations

From: "M. Mueller (bhu5nji)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 23:13:31 -0500

Any recommendations on C++ books?  Something that describes the gears and 
pulleys as well as the function. I have Stroustroup from way back when.

I was working with a base class last Friday that had no virtual destructor.  
It wasn't a problem until I added some private data items to the derived 
class.  Then the compiler started complaining.  I searched the web and gained 
a rudimentary understanding of the problem and I found a solution to the 
problem.  Now I want to have a solid understanding of that problem and 
solution. 
-- 
Mike  M.

Support TriLUG. Reply directly for details on how to send a check.
No amount is too small.

Subscribe to all the TriLUG lists at http://trilug.org/mailman/listinfo

---

From: Brent Verner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 09:17:35 -0500

[2002-03-18 23:13] M. Mueller (bhu5nji) said:
| Any recommendations on C++ books?  Something that describes the gears and 
| pulleys as well as the function. I have Stroustroup from way back when.

  The Annotated C++ Reference Manual, Ellis && Stroustrup.

This book describes language features in a very concise, if sometimes
terse, manner.  For discussion on the Standard Library, also get

  The C++ Standard Library, Josuttis.

Of course, these are just the books that _I_ found most helpful, YMMV.

cheers.
  brent

-- 
"Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are 
really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough
to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman

---

From: Tom Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 22:09:00 +0500

> pulleys as well as the function. I have Stroustroup from way back when.

I found Lippman's _C++_Primer_ more approachable than Stroustroup when first 
learning C++.

> class.  Then the compiler started complaining.  I searched the web and
> gained a rudimentary understanding of the problem and I found a solution to
> the problem.  Now I want to have a solid understanding of that problem and
> solution.

For anyone doing serious work in C++, Meyers's _Effective_C++_ and 
_More_Effective_C++_ are absolutely essential.

The problem you mention here is Item 14 in the first book: Make destructors 
virtual in base classes.  Really, you'll save yourself a lot of time if you 
buy and read (and reread) Meyers's books...especially if you're a class 
producer and not a class consumer.  That is, you're implementing a C++ 
library and not simply stringing together other people's components.

---Tom