Subject: [Dev] Interest in r-t app development in GNU/Linux

From: "M. Mueller (bhu5nji)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 15:49:21 -0500

Is anyone one the list interested in discussing and sharing code for 
non-blocking I/O and/or IPC and/or pthreaded and/or fat-process real-time 
apps in a GNU/Linux environment?  
-- 
Mike  M.

Support TriLUG. Reply directly for details on how to send a check.
No amount is too small.

Subscribe to all the TriLUG lists at http://trilug.org/mailman/listinfo

---

From: Brent Verner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:22:25 -0500

[2002-02-23 15:49] M. Mueller (bhu5nji) said:
| Is anyone one the list interested in discussing and sharing code for 
| non-blocking I/O and/or IPC and/or pthreaded and/or fat-process real-time 
| apps in a GNU/Linux environment?

sounds interesting.  What does "fat-process" real-time mean?

cheers.
  b

-- 
"Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are 
really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough
to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman

---

From: "M. Mueller (bhu5nji)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 13:53:57 -0500

> sounds interesting.  What does "fat-process" real-time mean?

I threw in all the buzz words I could think of.

fat process (fork) these are my bread and butter
pthread (thin process), I don't do these yet

real-time, as you probably know, is a system that responds to outside stimuli 
fast enough to be successful in its mission.  THis a pretty mushy definition.

The POSIX standard includes r-t elements.  I don't know the POSIX standard 
beyond how to spell it.

I've spent lots of time doing r-t systems.  I very new at doing them in 
GNU/Linux.  So far, so good.  I'm very impressed.  There are embedded Linux 
efforts, but that's not what I'm proposing a discussion on (but we could end 
up there).

I am thinking about exposing my app to the world at sometime.  I'd like to 
get it reviewed in a smaller group leading up to that point.  That's my 
motivation to discuss r-t apps.

Mike M.

-- 
Mike  M.

---

From: Ed Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Feb 2002 12:24:59 -0700

> pthread (thin process), I don't do these yet

Heh, kinda funny to hear pthreads vs. fork() referred to as thin vs. fat
since (AFAIK) pthreads are implemented on Linux using "clone()" (which
is very much like fork()).  But I understand that its different on most
commercial Unixes...

I'm not keen in R/T apps per-se but would like to hear about your
experiences with threads and non-blocking IO.  I have some fork/exec and
pthreads experience--will have to go dig out my copy of Butenoff...  ;-)

> motivation to discuss r-t apps.

Cool.  What does it do?

Ed

-- 
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:       [email-masked], [email-masked]
Division of ESE            |  URL:         http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |  Phone:       303-273-3483
Golden, CO  80401          |  Fax:         303-273-3311
Key fingerprint = 5BDE 4DA1 66BE 4F7B BC17  3A0C 932B 7266 1E76 F123

---

From: "M. Mueller (bhu5nji)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:03:26 -0500

On Monday 25 February 2002 02:24 pm, you wrote:
> > > | non-blocking I/O and/or IPC and/or pthreaded and/or fat-process
> > > | real-time apps in a GNU/Linux environment?
> > >

That's the kind of stuff I like to learn.  My knowledge stem from Stevens who 
was Unix agnostic AFAIK.  He sometimes points out implementational details 
like the one you mention above.

> > I am thinking about exposing my app to the world at sometime.  I'd like
> > to get it reviewed in a smaller group leading up to that point.  That's
> > my motivation to discuss r-t apps.
>
> Cool.  What does it do? 

www.signalnetware.com

95% of my app needs to be OS to bring comfort to wary users.  We all know 
that feeling :-/ It's quite a different way to do business.  I am learning as 
I go.  I only charge for 5% of the app and I don't charge alot.  I'm thinking 
about going unlimited license to educational concerns.

-- 
Mike  M.