Subject: [Dev] Are we on for a prelim meeting on the 23rd? And meeting the 2nd and 4th Saturdays? (was: Reading Circle)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:43:28 -0500

It seems that nobody has spoken up yet, with any opposition to meeting the
2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month,
for our little reading circle.  So, unless somebody has something to say
about it now, we're going to adopt that?

Also, are some (all, even?) of you up for a preliminary meeting on the 23rd
( this Saturday )?  There seemed
to be some consensus to allow a couple of weeks before the first "real"
meeting, to allow people to
get their books and "brush up"....  but their seemed to be some support for
the idea of a "prelim" meeting
this weekend, to discuss how this is going to work, etc.   Probably it will
just turn into some geeks B.S.'ing
about geek stuff, but hey.....

Anyway, let's decide what we want to do.... I'm not sure what the status of
Brent's conference room is,
but I imagine that we need to decide something soon, so he can make sure
the room is reserved, if
we are indeed going to meet this week.

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
[email-masked]

America is at war with Afghanistan.  America has always been at war with
Afghanistan.  Russia is our ally.  Russia has always been our ally.

Read Orwell's 1984.  Read a newspaper.  Fear the future.

The history of liberty is a history of resistance. The history of liberty
is a history of limitations of governmental power, not the increase of it.
- Woodrow Wilson Speech in New York, September 9, 1912

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

---

From: Bill Vinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:53:34 -0500

On Tuesday, February 19, 2002, at 10:43 AM, [email-masked] wrote:

> ( this Saturday )?

I'm up for a meeting this Saturday.

Bill

---

From: Brent Verner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 10:58:06 -0500

[2002-02-19 10:43] [email-masked] said:
| It seems that nobody has spoken up yet, with any opposition to meeting the
| 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month,
| for our little reading circle.  So, unless somebody has something to say
| about it now, we're going to adopt that?

sounds good to me.

| Also, are some (all, even?) of you up for a preliminary meeting on the 23rd
| ( this Saturday )?  There seemed
| to be some consensus to allow a couple of weeks before the first "real"
| meeting, to allow people to
| get their books and "brush up"....  but their seemed to be some support for
| the idea of a "prelim" meeting
| this weekend, to discuss how this is going to work, etc.   Probably it will
| just turn into some geeks B.S.'ing
| about geek stuff, but hey.....

I'd not be opposed to a couple/few hours of B.S.'ing around.

| Anyway, let's decide what we want to do.... I'm not sure what the status of
| Brent's conference room is,
| but I imagine that we need to decide something soon, so he can make sure
| the room is reserved, if
| we are indeed going to meet this week.

I have the room reserved for Saturday, 23 Feb, if we do end up doing
a preliminary meeting.

cheers.
  brent

-- 
"Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are 
really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough
to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."  -- Duane Allman

---

From: "M. Mueller (bhu5nji)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:08:27 -0500

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 10:58 am, you wrote:
> | It seems that nobody has spoken up yet, with any opposition to meeting
> | the 2nd and 4th Saturdays of the month,
ditto
>
> | Also, are some (all, even?) of you up for a preliminary meeting on the
> | 23rd ( this Saturday )?  There seemed
> | get their books and "brush up"....  but their seemed to be some support
> | for the idea of a "prelim" meeting
> | this weekend, to discuss how this is going to work, etc.   Probably it
> | will just turn into some geeks B.S.'ing
I have a permission slip that good for 1 hour.
>
> | Anyway, let's decide what we want to do.... I'm not sure what the status
> | of Brent's conference room is,

---

From: "Matthew Todd" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:13:04 -0500

All good for me. (Prelim 23rd, 2nd & 4th Saturdays.)

Also, after last night's TriJUG talk[1], I'm wondering if a book like Pragmatic
Programming[2,3] would be interesting for the group after/alongside the Design
Patterns book.

Matthew

[1] http://www.trijug.org/nextmeeting.html , will probably move to
http://www.trijug.org/meetings/2002Feb.html

[2] http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ppbook/
[3] http://slashdot.org/books/00/02/15/1912222.shtml

----- Original Message -----
From: <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2002 10:43 AM
Subject: [Dev] Are we on for a prelim meeting on the 23rd? And meeting the 2nd
and 4th Saturdays? (was: Reading Circle)

> _______________________________________________
> Dev mailing list
> [email-masked]
> http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/dev
>
>

---

From: John Matthews <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Feb 2002 12:49:04 -0500

> Also, are some (all, even?) of you up for a preliminary meeting on the 23rd

Bro is getting married this weekend. Won't be able to make it, but I'll
watch this list for the next meeting. :^|

Regards,
matt

-- 
Matt Matthews     \ ph: 919.660.2811        \ Use GNU/Linux  _o) w00t
Duke Univ., Postdoc\ [email-masked]  \____________   /\\
Dept. of Mathematics\ http://www.math.duke.edu/~jvmatthe/ \ _\_V

---

From: Tom Bryan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 00:00:51 +0500

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 09:13 pm, Matthew Todd wrote:
> Also, after last night's TriJUG talk[1], I'm wondering if a book like
> Pragmatic Programming[2,3] would be interesting for the group
> after/alongside the Design Patterns book.

I would recommend one book at a time.  Once the reading group for the first 
book is well under way, I suggest polling for suggestions here and then 
holding a vote.

---Tom