Subject: [Dev] Andy Hunt talks to the JUG

From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <[email-masked]>
Date: 18 Feb 2002 17:15:32 -0500

Tonight's Triangle Java User's Group meeting (www.trijug.org) will
feature Andy hunt....

February 2002 JUG Meeting:
 
Triangle Java Users Group Presents:

The Long-Lost Secret
to
Developing Good Software

presented by

Andrew Hunt

Monday, February 18, 2002
6:30 PM - 9:00 PM

LOCATION: MCNC Auditorium
3021 Cornwallis Road
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina

919.248.1800

Abstract:
Software projects still run late, over-budget, and under-featured.
Managers ask their developers to work insane hours anyway, all in the
face of changing technologies and changing requirements.

Walking on water and developing software from a specification are easy
if both are frozen. But in today's business climate, everything is
undergoing constant change; nothing is frozen. While the new Agile
methodologies (include eXtreme Programming, or "XP") are a huge step in
the right direction, they still don't offer a silver bullet. You can
fail with an Agile methodology just as easily as you can fail with the
Rational Unified Process, or with CMM-inspired methodologies.

What, then, is the secret to developing working software on time, on
budget?

About Speaker:
Andy is co-author of the best-selling book The Pragmatic Programmer and
Programming Ruby, various articles, is a columnist for IEEE Software
magazine, a founding author of the Agile Alliance, and lectures
internationally on the topic of software development.

Between writing, traveling, woodworking and playing the piano, Andy
finds time for his consulting business specializing in Agile software
development. Andy has been writing software professionally since the
early 80's across diverse industries such as telecommunications,
banking, financial services, utilities, medical imaging, graphic arts,
and Internet services.

Format:
The talk will last about 60 minutes (Q&A will follow)
AGENDA:
6:30 pm - Meet, talk, snacks
7:00-7:15 - Announcements, Status of JUG projects
7:15 - 8:15 - Presentation
8:15 - 8:30 - Discussion with presenter
9:00 - Doors close
DIRECTIONS to MCNC:
From Raleigh:
Take I-40 West toward Durham and Chapel Hill. You will enter RTP. Where
I-40 splits, bear right onto the Durham Freeway North (Highway 147).
Take the Cornwallis Road Exit. At the end of the exit ramp, bear right -
cross back over the Freeway. MCNC is located approximately 3/4 mile on
the right.

From Durham:
Get on the Durham Freeway South (Highway 147). Take the Cornwallis Road
exit. At the end of the ramp, bear right - MCNC is approximately 3/4
mile on right.

Click here for map with directions, or visit the MCNC web site.

[Want Java]

-- 
www.superlinksoftware.com
www.sourceforge.net/projects/poi - port of Excel format to java
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4487555.html 
			- fix java generics!

The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to
vote.
-Ambassador Kosh