Subject: Re: [Dev] GCC Front end anyone?

From: "John F Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:21:30 -0400

Geoff Berry of Bops.  Considering that Bops is closing their shop, he'll
probably be looking for a job.

JD

"Andrew C. Oliver" <[email-masked]>@trilug.org on 05/29/2002 02:18:47
PM

Please respond to [email-masked]

Sent by:    [email-masked]

To:    [email-masked]
cc:
Subject:    [Dev] GCC Front end anyone?

Hi,

Has anyone done any work on the internals of GCC.  Specifically language
front-ends?  I'm working on creaing a GCC front end for
http://www.digitalmars/d.  The front end code for the compiler has been
released GPL/Artisitic, its just a matter of porting it to GCC.

I've yet to find a working example of the "toy" language referred to in
the GCC docs, that works with any defined version of GCC.  (So far I
grab the version of Toy that says its for 3.0 and it turns out not to
work!  Frustrating!).

Anyone with front end experience that might be able to give me a few
pointers (pun intended)?

-Andy

_______________________________________________
Dev mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

---

From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:31:17 -0400

>probably be looking for a job.

Well I'll give him 90% of what I'm making off of it....oh wait... I'm 
not making anything ;-)
I'm doing this to brush up on my C and have an alternative to Java 
that's OO and doesn't suck.
(C++ in my view, Sucks)

-Andy

---

From: Tanner Lovelace <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 May 2002 14:37:52 -0400

> that's OO and doesn't suck.

If you're looking for object oriented, don't look at C.  Sure, you
can do OO in C, but it's an incredible kludge. 

Why do you say C++ sucks?  We just had this same discussion at
lunch here and came to the conclusion that pretty much every language
out there has its strengths and weaknesses and that instead of 
focusing on a particular language you should look at what you
need to get done and use the best tool for the job.  Sometimes
that's C++, sometimes it's C, or even Java, Perl, Python, Ruby,
etc...  C++ no more sucks than Java does (and I personally think
it sucks a *lot* less).  It's just what you know and are used to.

Tanner
-- 
Tanner Lovelace | [email-masked] | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
GPG Fingerprint = A66C 8660 924F 5F8C 71DA  BDD0 CE09 4F8E DE76 39D4
GPG Key can be found at http://wtl.wayfarer.org/lovelace.gpg.asc
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
 This would be a very good time to hang out with the Open Source 
 people, before they get formally reclassified as a national security 
 threat. -- Bruce Sterling

---

From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:45:13 -0400

>it sucks a *lot* less).  It's just what you know and are used to.
I  used to be a C++ programmer.  I'm not particularly interested in a 
discussion about C++'s suckiness, its a very
old discussion and I'm sure you can find plenty of references.  

Java has its strengths and weaknesses.  One strength is its simplicity, 
one weakness is its simplicity.  One
horrible weakness is the Java environment.  Take a look at D 
(www.digitalmars.com/d) and see what you think.
U/F the current compiler only works on Windoze.  I'm excited to work 
with it.

Any knowledge of GCC internals?  Particuarly the "Trees" and Frontends?

-Andy

---

From: Tanner Lovelace <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 May 2002 15:12:22 -0400

> U/F the current compiler only works on Windoze.  I'm excited to work 

I'll see if I can take a look at it sometime after work...
 
> Any knowledge of GCC internals?  Particuarly the "Trees" and Frontends?

No, sorry, only in passing.  I did teach a "Concepts of Programming"
languages class at UNC so I know about parse trees in general, but
as far as actually applying them to gcc I wouldn't have any clue.

(Hmmm... I guess my wife is good friends with Bruce Tiemann [they're
both life members of the International Jugglers Association], brother
of Micheal Tiemann who wrote a lot of GCC, but that's about as close
as I come to knowing GCC internals, and that isn't any.)

Good luck finding someone.
-- 
Tanner Lovelace | [email-masked] | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
GPG Fingerprint = A66C 8660 924F 5F8C 71DA  BDD0 CE09 4F8E DE76 39D4
GPG Key can be found at http://wtl.wayfarer.org/lovelace.gpg.asc
--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--
          Si hoc legere scis, nimium eruditionis habes.

---

From: Ed Hill <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 May 2002 13:25:11 -0600

> Good luck finding someone.

Tom Tromey of autoconf fame lives out here in Boulder and is, I believe,
currently working on the gcj front-end.  His email is: [email-masked]

Ed

-- 
Edward H. Hill III, PhD    |  Email:       [email-masked], [email-masked]
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  URLs:        http://www.eh3.com
Division of ESE            |   http://wasser.mines.edu/people/edhill.php
Colorado School of Mines   |  Phone:       303-273-3483
Golden, CO  80401          |  Fax:         303-273-3311
Key fingerprint = 5BDE 4DA1 66BE 4F7B BC17  3A0C 932B 7266 1E76 F123

---

From: "Andrew C. Oliver" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 15:39:20 -0400

>currently working on the gcj front-end.  His email is: [email-masked]
cool.  Thanks man.

-Andy

---

From: Dan Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 18:16:24 -0400

On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 02:37:52PM -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
[snip]
> it sucks a *lot* less).  It's just what you know and are used to.

Wow, this is highly reminiscent of Comp144! Thanks, Tanner! =)

-- 
Dan Chen                 [email-masked]
GPG key:   www.unc.edu/~crimsun/pubkey.gpg.asc