Subject: [Dev] syslog "client" from a shell script?

From: Jeremy Portzer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 14:38:05 -0500

Okay, this is probably a stupid question.

But suppose I'm writing a shell script, and I want to send a message to
syslog, so that it will show up in /var/log/messages.  Is there a syslog
"client" of some sort that can be run easily from a shell script?  (I
realize that there is a C library; I don't really want to get into
that.)  

Thanks for any advice,
Jeremy

-- 
/---------------------------------------------------------------------\
| Jeremy Portzer        [email-masked]      trilug.org/~jeremy     |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F  E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |
\---------------------------------------------------------------------/

---

From: John F Davis <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:45:38 -0500

Jeremy,

Yeah its kinda hit or miss.  It aint going to help you if it the man page
is not installed.  ie. if logger is not installed apropos is not going to
help unless syslog has a see also reference to it.  Which you already
pointed out does not exist.

Happy Trails,

JD

|---------+---------------------------->
|         |           Jeremy Portzer   |
|         |           <[email-masked]|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           Sent by:         |
|         |           dev-bounces@trilu|
|         |           g.org            |
|         |                            |
|         |                            |
|         |           11/10/2003 03:37 |
|         |           PM               |
|         |           Please respond to|
|         |           "Discussion of   |
|         |           scripts,programs,|
|         |           and development" |
|         |           <[email-masked]  |
|         |                            |
|---------+---------------------------->
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       "Discussion of scripts, programs, and development" <[email-masked]>                                       |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Dev] syslog "client" from a shell script?                                                            |
  |                                                                                                                           |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 15:33, John F Davis wrote:
>
>
> Jeremy,
>
> Good deal.   FWIW, I just check "apropos syslog" output  and logger is
the
> first entry.

Heh, I forgot about apropos (man -k) because it is so often useless; I
should have tried that!

--Jeremy

_______________________________________________
Dev mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.trilug.org/mailman/listinfo/dev

#### signature.asc has been removed from this note on November 10, 2003 by
John F Davis