[Dev] Reading Circle

Bill Vinson dev@trilug.org
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 14:03:49 -0500

On Saturday, February 16, 2002, at 01:02 PM, prhodes@vdsinc.com wrote:

> I talked to my colleague who wants to attend, and it's the 2nd and 4th
> Saturdays that he's free.  So, if it's OK with everybody else, I'd like
> to suggest doing the 2nd and 4th.
>
> If we go with that, the next meeting day would be next Saturday, the
> 23rd of February, or else the 9th of March.  I'm was thinking about
> this...
> maybe we could establish March 9th as the first "real" meeting, but
> since
> Brent apparently has the conference room for next Sat. maybe we could
> go ahead and get together, kinda informally and chat for a while.

I think this is an excellent idea.  It will give everyone some time to
get whatever book and look it over, but will also give us a chance to
meet and discuss what we want out of the meetings.

> Well, I haven't heard any objection to that, so I guess so, basically.
> The
> only thing that comes
> to mind is the possibility of doing what the Boulder patterns group did.
> They started with
> a different patterns book: "DesignPatternsExplained: A New Perspective
> on
> Object Oriented Design",
> written by AlanShalloway and JamesTrott.  Apparently it's considered
> more
> of an introductory
> level book on the subject?  So, might we want to do that, then go on to
> the
> GoF book?  Or
> would you guys just want to jump into the GoF right away?  Maybe that's
> something we
> could discuss this coming Sat., if we have a "prelim" meeting.

I would suggest starting with the intro book might be better, but that
is just me.  I imagine the GOF book would be fine as well.  I guess we
need a consensus here or in a prelim meeting.

Bill