[Dev] coda filesystems

Tanner Lovelace dev@trilug.org
Wed, 20 Feb 2002 02:45:45 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Brent Verner wrote:

>   Do any of you have any experience using coda filesystems?  More

I've been playing around with it a bit.

> specifically, can the coda filesystem be used to 'mount' single
> files in an otherwise non-coda directory?

No, I don't believe so.  Coda requires a partition that
it can use for it's own stuff and it doesn't store the
files there like you would expect but more like a database
would store stuff.

For example, on the system I've been working with,
the clients mount the coda filesystem at /coda.  Under
there, I have a directory called /coda/users/lovelace.
This is the same on whatever client I want to use.
I have a file who's full path is /coda/users/lovelace/test.
On the server itself, that file is located at
/vicepa/0/0/74.  Coda manages the translation from
it's setup to the user viewed filesystem.

The reason it's setup like this is so it can do all
the cool stuff like disconnected operation, replication,
real-time backups, etc...

One other thing.  Getting a coda server up and running
is not for the faint of heart.  It really helps if you
have a good knowledge of how AFS (the predecessor to Coda)
works beforehand.

Tanner
--
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace@wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/

   Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little
   order, will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin