[Dev] module location

Mike Johnson dev@trilug.org
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:51:47 -0500

--Z1Z8UV8BNhgCynIS

John F Davis [johndavi@us.ibm.com] wrote:
> Hello
>=20
> At work we debating the location of module files.  We are building some
> custom modules
> and I'm thinking that they don't need to be in the lib/modules/2.4.x/misc
> dir.  Especially since
> we can have more than one version of the  module.

Well, what do they do?  There's a bunch of module 'types' in
/lib/modules/2.4.x/kernel/drivers/
=20
> Has anybody ever seen a module outside the lib/modules/2.4.x filesystem?

Yeah, actually.  The wireless LAN drivers can be used without being
installed in the 'main' modules directory. =20

It's non-standard to not put them in the main modules directory, but
certainly doable.

Mike
--=20
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost

GNUPG Key fingerprint =3D ACD2 2F2F C151 FB35 B3AF  C821 89C4 DF9A 5DDD 95D1
GNUPG Key =3D http://www.enoch.org/mike/mike.pubkey.asc

--Z1Z8UV8BNhgCynIS

--Z1Z8UV8BNhgCynIS--