[Dev] STL

M. Mueller/bhu5nji dev@trilug.org
Sat, 5 Jan 2002 23:53:49 -0500

Thanks for the comments.  I added a couple more below.

Mike

> I would highly, highly, highly, highly, highly, highly, highly recommend
> "The C++ Standard Library" by Josuttis (published by Addison Wesley).
> It is by far the best STL book I have ever seen (and I've looked at
> several, but not the latest version of Musser and Saini...)

I did a stare and compare of the Josuttis book (copyright 1999 $49) and the
Musser et al 2nd. Ed. (copyright 2001 $44) at my local Borders.  They were
quite similar.  I opted to the Musser book for 4 reasons: 1) more recent
copyright, 2) Musser is professionally close to Stepanov, 3) Addison Wesly
Professional Computing Series have been good choices in the past, and 4) the
reference material was slightly more verbose.  I felt a bit rebellious since
Amazon reviews were similar in nature to the one above.

> > If all you want are decent implementations of some data structures and
> > algorithms, then I strongly suggest that you look into something other
> > than the STL.  Take a good look at the C-based Glib
> >
> >   http://developer.gnome.org/arch/gtk/glib.html
> >
> > library which you can, of course, use within C++.  Its *very* portable.
> > And most of the data structures and algorithms that you're likely want
> > are in there...
>
> Yes, you can use glib in C++, but you lose way too much of the
> power of C++.  Face it.  Using C code when you could use C++
> is a hack.  It's ugly and it makes you do way to much stuff.  C++
> was written so you don't have to do that stuff so you might as
> well use it.

I also recall that GLIB is covered by the GPL and the C++ Stand Library is
covered by the LGPL.  As I am developing a commercial application, the LGPL
is more attractive to me as well.