[Dev] Open Source and CVS

Tom Bryan dev@trilug.org
Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:22:06 +0500

On Thursday 17 January 2002 05:40 am, M. Mueller/bhu5nji wrote:
> How do I go about learning the ways of open source development

Join a project. :-)

I know that www.ecoaccess.org is about to start a new round of recruitment
for volunteers.  It is somewhat more structured that many open source
projects, so it might be a good first project if you're interested in Python,
Zope, PostgreSQL, and/or Triangle-area environmental issues.

> the uses of CVS and Sourceforge?

For CVS, I found that
http://www.red-bean.com/cvsbook/
gave a pretty good introduction.  It provided some practical advice for those
who are new to CVS or some of its features in addition to plenty of "how to
do X."  That is, it's more than a manual (like the Per Cederqvist reference,
which you'll probably eventually use).

For SourceForge, the best way is probably to join a SourceForge project.  If
you like Perl, Python, and/or C++, I'm responsible for a project that needs
help.

---Tom