[Dev] syslog "client" from a shell script?

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 10 15:33:40 EST 2003

Jeremy,

Good deal.   FWIW, I just check "apropos syslog" output  and logger is the
first entry.

JD

|         |           Jeremy Portzer   |
|         |           <jeremyp at pobox.co|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           dev-bounces at trilu|
|         |           g.org            |
|         |           11/10/2003 03:04 |
|         |           "Discussion of   |
|         |           scripts,programs,|
|         |           and development" |
|         |           <dev at trilug.org  |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       "Discussion of scripts, programs, and development" <dev at trilug.org>                                       |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Dev] syslog "client" from a shell script?                                                            |
  |                                                                                                                           |

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 14:47, John F Davis wrote:

> Hello Jeremy,
>
> I don't know off hand, but have you tried the great google?

Sure, of course.  Wouldn't have asked here if I hadn't.

Scott Lundgren pointed out on IRC that the command I'm looking for is
called "logger" (and is included in the util-linux package).  Thanks
Scott.

Now, you'd think they could at least mention this command in the "See
Also" section for syslog(3).  Grr...

--Jeremy