[Dev] syslog "client" from a shell script?

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Mon Nov 10 15:45:38 EST 2003

Jeremy,

Yeah its kinda hit or miss.  It aint going to help you if it the man page
is not installed.  ie. if logger is not installed apropos is not going to
help unless syslog has a see also reference to it.  Which you already
pointed out does not exist.

Happy Trails,

JD

|         |           Jeremy Portzer   |
|         |           <jeremyp at pobox.co|
|         |           m>               |
|         |           dev-bounces at trilu|
|         |           g.org            |
|         |           11/10/2003 03:37 |
|         |           "Discussion of   |
|         |           scripts,programs,|
|         |           and development" |
|         |           <dev at trilug.org  |
  >---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                                           |
  |       To:       "Discussion of scripts, programs, and development" <dev at trilug.org>                                       |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: [Dev] syslog "client" from a shell script?                                                            |

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 15:33, John F Davis wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> Good deal.   FWIW, I just check "apropos syslog" output  and logger is
the
> first entry.

Heh, I forgot about apropos (man -k) because it is so often useless; I
should have tried that!

--Jeremy