[Hosting] hosting on fatalpha

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Tue, 13 Nov 2001 14:20:59 -0500

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 01:14:35PM -0500, prhodes.a.t.vdsinc.com spoke thusly:
> I'm no CVS admin guru, but I manage the CVS server here at VDS, so I know a
> little about it.  We
> don't do any anonymous access, but if I remember correctly from the docs,
> setting up anonymous is
> fairly easy.  I hesitate to call it trivial, but I don't think that would
> be any big deal.

Anon CVS is a snap to set up. REALLY Easy. But for checkout only.

> The bigger issue is probably security.  There are some questions to answer
> re: using pserver access, or ssh access, or whatever.  If we do pserver, I
> know how to configure that.  If we use ssh, I don't know anything about
> setting up ssh.

pserver is a security nightmare for commits. However, you can limit
the pserver to checkout only, and use ssh for committers on the
project, just like at sourceforge, in about 30 seconds.

you just change :

:pserver:yourname.a.t.cvs.trilug.org:/your/cvs/dir

:ext:yourname.a.t.cvs.trilug.org:/your/cvs/dir

and set CVS_RSH=ssh in your shell.

And it works.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  New email : alchemist.a.t.darkcanvas.com  --
--  http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist  --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --

"If you'll read the subtext for many of those old strips, you'll find
the heart of an old-fashioned Libertarian. And I'd be a Libertarian,
if they weren't all a bunch of tax-dodging professional whiners."
  -- Berkley Breathed, 2001