[Hosting] PPC and Alpha are cool, but....

Mike Johnson hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Wed, 14 Nov 2001 23:42:56 -0500

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney [alchemist.a.t.darkcanvas.com] wrote:
> ...I may have a mips to add to a "build farm" as well.

Oh yeah?  An SGI?

> Now, let's talk turkey. JonC says he's willing to give us an x86 bbox
> for this purpose. How can we best (and most securely) hsare the user
> accounts and home directories from fatalpha to this box?
>
> I'd rather not have to add everyone to every machine, with a different
> home directory at each place. it feels so...wasteful.

NFS across a dedicated net.  That seems the best way to handle it
without making this too much of a pain in the ass to run.  It'd
be great if someone would be willing to donate a low-end 10/100
Mbps switch.

There's a little more to it, but that's basicly what I'm looking
at.

Mike
--
Never trust a man who puts anything other than a finger up his nose. - _Snatch_