[Hosting] PPC and Alpha are cool, but....

Tom Bryan hosting.a.t.trilug.org
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:29:04 +0500

On Thursday 15 November 2001 09:20 am, you wrote:
> ...I may have a mips to add to a "build farm" as well.
>
> Cool, ej? *grin*
>
> Now, let's talk turkey. JonC says he's willing to give us an x86 bbox
> for this purpose. How can we best (and most securely) hsare the user
> accounts and home directories from fatalpha to this box?

I'm somewhat confused.  Do we need to share shell accounts across the boxes?
I thought that the "build farm" was a set of machines where I just submitted
some type of job to run on each box.  That is, I thought the build farm was
really for unattended builds.  Is that not true?  (All of the projects I'm
working with at SourceForge are in Perl or Python...so I've never looked into
the compile farm.)

I use SF, and I almost never use my shell account.  I'm not really sure why
it's needed except for setting up web pages.  Are their other uses?

---Tom