[Hosting] bandwidth slammed

Chris Hedemark hosting@trilug.org
05 Sep 2002 17:24:07 -0400

On Thu, 2002-09-05 at 16:41, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Actually, we could just make a mirror user that the scripts could
> run as.

That could work for me.

> Oh, one other suggestions, Chris.  What would you say to instead
> of putting the ports in /mirrors/pub/ports, putting it in
> /mirrors/pub/bsd/ports so that people can see it's not something
> for linux?

Ah but ports isn't just something for *BSD either (though it originated
there).  I've heard of Linux distros that do the same thing.  Isn't
Gentoo one of them?

> Ideally, we should also put all the linux stuff in
> /mirrors/pub/linux (or Linux/) and then the CPAN stuff can also
> go at that level (in /mirrors/pub/perl or something like that).

I disagree, only because I think we should in the case of Linux *and*
BSD distros, try to mimic the paths that are used by the host we're
mirroring so that installation disks will default to the right directory
of our server.  Though I don't think Red Hat defaults to any directory,
several other popular OS's do (like OpenBSD, though we aren't mirroring
that (yet)).

--
Chris Hedemark
Yonder Way Productions - Professional Videography