[Hosting] "local" host needed

Richard O. Hammer hosting@trilug.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 12:48:32 -0500

Hello, group,

I am developing an email service, which uses both a mail server
listening on port 25 and Tomcat listening on port 80.  I have just
arrived at the milestone of having a first prototype which I can
display.  If you are curious you may read about it at
<http://mailscreen.net>.  But now, having promised you and others that
you can see my display, the machine on which I have been doing my
development is tied up, waiting in case anybody wants to peek.  In
order to continue development, it seems I need another machine.

Intending to ask for advice about where I might shop for a machine
(I'm hoping I can find a two- or three-year old ordinary machine for
$200 - $300), I visited <http://trilug.org/mailinglist.php>, thinking
I would join the main trilug list and post my question there.  But
then I noticed this hosting list described on that page, with the
words "...aid in the setup of hosting for local software projects".
At first I thought this list is just what I need.  But, digging
deeper, I've found strong evidence which suggests this list is about
hosting specifically TriLUG services.  Probably "local" means "TriLUG"
but not "Hillsborough" in this case.  But, not being entirely
convinced that I'm making a mistake, I'll go ahead.

Of course I do not necessarily want to buy another computer.  I would
prefer to hire hosting service from someone who specializes in selling
it.  But while the prices for port 80 hosting look fine to me, with
many offers at less than $10/month, prices for port 25 hosting seem to
be an entirely different ballgame.  When I looked into this a few
months ago, the best option I found was $250/month for a dedicated
machine on somebody's rack.

So, thanks for advice which you might offer, concerning my search for
either a second-hand computer or a hosting service.  And I apologize
if I am definitely off topic for this list.

Rich Hammer
Hillsborough