[Hosting] "local" host needed

Jeremy Portzer hosting@trilug.org
30 Jan 2003 14:10:04 -0500

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 12:48, Richard O. Hammer wrote:

> Intending to ask for advice about where I might shop for a machine
> (I'm hoping I can find a two- or three-year old ordinary machine for
> $200 - $300), I visited <http://trilug.org/mailinglist.php>, thinking
> I would join the main trilug list and post my question there.  But
> then I noticed this hosting list described on that page, with the
> words "...aid in the setup of hosting for local software projects".
> At first I thought this list is just what I need.  But, digging
> deeper, I've found strong evidence which suggests this list is about
> hosting specifically TriLUG services.  Probably "local" means "TriLUG"
> but not "Hillsborough" in this case.  But, not being entirely
> convinced that I'm making a mistake, I'll go ahead.

Hi.  This list hasn't been used much, but the intent was for a place to
discuss hosting of open source projects on TriLUG's servers.  But don't
worry about being off-topic, although you might get a bigger audience on
the main list.

> Of course I do not necessarily want to buy another computer.  I would
> prefer to hire hosting service from someone who specializes in selling
> it.  But while the prices for port 80 hosting look fine to me, with
> many offers at less than $10/month, prices for port 25 hosting seem to
> be an entirely different ballgame.  When I looked into this a few
> months ago, the best option I found was $250/month for a dedicated
> machine on somebody's rack.

There are a number of hosting companies that will offer "dedicated
server" options which should give you what you need.  I would think that
they'd be available for less than $250/month if you shopped around.  As
an example, Britsys is a local company that resells space at Inflow
(where the TriLUG computers are)  ... their basic service is $100/month.
	http://www.britsys.com/colocation/colocation.html

Hope this helps,
Jeremy