[Hosting] "local" host needed

Michael Mueller hosting@trilug.org
Thu, 30 Jan 2003 17:16:39 -0500

On Thursday 30 January 2003 15:48, Richard O. Hammer wrote:
> Chris Hedemark wrote:
> > On Thursday, January 30, 2003, at 12:48 PM, Richard O. Hammer wrote:
> >> I am developing an email service, which uses both a mail server
> >> listening on port 25 and Tomcat listening on port 80.
> >
> > Richard, is the goal of your project going to be a proprietary product
> > you want to sell, or an open source project?  That may have a lot to do
> > with what kind of hosting is available to you.
>
> Probably it will be proprietary, but not necessarily so.  Here are the
> considerations I see:

Developing a product is the easy part.  The harder and more mysterious part
is selling your wares.  Just because something is open source and free is no
guarantee that is will be used.  I am learning that people will gladly pay to
use well-known brand-name items.  It takes lots of money to create name brand
recognition.  Spending money on marketing scares me because of the difficulty
in measuring its effectiveness.

One of the big reasons I went with open source at www.ss7box.com is that I
did not want to shoulder product liability.

If I ever come up with another product/service idea, I'll make sure its got a
marketing plan and customer interest before I do any development.

There was a discussion on the main list recently about cheap hosting.  I
think that these people (http://www.inforelay.com/colocation.html) are worth
a looksee.  With your own box and IP address you can manage every port as you
see fit.  They are not local but then again why do you really need local
service?

--
Mike Mueller
www.ss7box.com