[Hosting] "local" host needed

Richard O. Hammer hosting@trilug.org
Fri, 31 Jan 2003 11:37:05 -0500

Joseph Tate wrote:
> Why not do what all others do when developing and deploying on the same
> machine: use a different port and a separate instance of the services
> involved configured to use those other ports.
Probably I can explore this further.  Also, you got me wondering if I
could run more than one port 25 on one machine.  I've tested and
indeed it seems I can run one port 25 for each IP address.  Typically
my machine has three IP addresses (localhost 127..., LAN 192..., and
one assigned dynamically by Sprint/Earthlink), so I can probably use
this for some mailserver testing.

This machine has only one network interface card, but evidently that
does not limit this behavior, for reasons I hope to understand someday.

Michael Mueller wrote:
 > ...  I
 > think that these people (http://www.inforelay.com/colocation.html)
are worth

Jeremy Portzer wrote:
 > ... Britsys is a local company that resells space at Inflow
 > ... http://www.britsys.com/colocation/colocation.html

I've checked out both of these co-hosting services.  They do look
better than the hosting alternative I had discovered before.

Thank you, all.  You've given me a lot to think about.

Rich Hammer