[Linux-ham] Congrats!

Jeremy Portzer linux-ham@trilug.org
22 Jul 2003 14:17:56 -0400

--=-diCmM82+Mmrsmf7CJorV

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 14:11, Kevin Otte wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 01:32:28PM -0400, Jim Ray wrote:
> > i have these visions of sitting on a sailboat away from PCS towers and
> > wondered if ham is a viable way to get IP.
>=20
> Nope.  There really isn't much being done in the area of amateur digital
> networks, and even if you do happen upon a network, there isn't a direct
> gateway over to the Internet.  Then of course there are the legal issues =
of
> what you can and can't transmit over amateur frequencies.

Well, the "Now You're Talking" book does talk about running TCP/IP over
packet radio.  So it would certainly be feasible to make such a TCP/IP
connection routable to the Internet through a myriad of means.  The
question is whether anyone really uses such hardware -- you'd need TNC's
(packet radio "modems") that support it, networks set up, etc -- and
apparently the answer to that is no.

Anyway, the speeds on the Sprint PCS Vision system would be much higher
than what you can get from packet radio anyway, from my understanding.
Also, note that your cell phone is likely to work out on a lakes near
the Triangle, such as Jordan or Falls, since there are no trees or
buildings obstructing your phone's "view" of the towers.  But maybe not
out in the boonies like Kerr lake or the sounds at the coast.

--Jeremy

--=20
| Jeremy Portzer       jeremyp@pobox.com       trilug.org/~jeremy     |

--=-diCmM82+Mmrsmf7CJorV