[Linux-ham] interesting ..ARRL to Propose New Entry-Level License, Code-Free HF Access

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Feb 16 17:53:42 EST 2004

Rob Rousseau KI4BKE said the following on 2/16/04 5:26 PM:

> All,
>      I hope this list isn't too dead.... so here's my latest tidbits.
>
>      I saw this today, may be old news to some of you, but nonetheless...
> So much for studying to get my General class.  :-/   I'm not sure when
> it would go into effect though.
> http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2004/01/19/1/
>
> "The middle group of licensees--Technician, Tech Plus (Technician
> with Element 1 credit) and General--would be merged into a new
> General license that also would not require a Morse examination.
> Current Technician and Tech Plus license holders automatically would
> gain current General class privileges without additional testing.
> The current Element 3 General examination would remain in place for
> new applicants."
>
> Also, I can't remember if I've posted this before (I did a quick search,
> but didn't see it).
> Mandrake Linux for HAMs:
> http://www.n9nu.net/linux/linux.php
> This might be useful for an installfest with a subset for HAMs?  This
> might tie in with Jeremy's post about the ARES or ARPS?
> That site seems to give a pretty good rundown of HAM-related software
> for Linux.
> 73,
> -Rob

Rob,

Note that this is only the ARRL *PROPOSAL* before the FCC.  The
FCC also has several other proposals before it that deal with
elimnating the code requirement.  Personally, I'm not sure the
ARRL one will be accepted as is.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace       | Don't move! Or I'll fill ya full of... little
lovelace at wayfarer.org | yellow bolts of light! - Commander John Crichton