[Linux-ham] Re: errata from prior post on Linux for local hams, Knoppix as basis for new ham distro ?

Rein Couperus rein at couperus.com
Mon May 10 09:19:49 EDT 2004

The 2-floppy debian distro has been superceded by a 1-live-CD-CD. Look at
http://home.iae.nl/users/reinc/dxpedition_disk.html
You can use this disk also as a Debian ham linux install disk.

73,

Rein Pa0R

On Monday 10 May 2004 03:55, Mark W4CHL wrote:
> Oops,  (posted to parc-mail and
>
> - gMFSK is not an APRS program, but a program for decoding/encoding
> PSK/MFSK signals which are almost exclusively on HF
>
> - this posting obviously was to linux-ham at trilug.org as well as to
> parc-mail at rtpnet.org
>
> There have been some posts on Knoppix and other even more compact distros,
> including post by local ham Tanner KB4TYE on Jul 17, 2003 at 02:20:26PM
> -0400 and refs to: http://debianham.sunsite.dk/
>
> which seems to have gone dormant since April of 2003.  Nice job though, two
> floppy image version of Debian with utilities for contesting.  May still be
> worth a look here with Field Day coming up. My FD laptop is still an old
> "12VDC" floppy boot capable WfW 3.11 laptop with a sub-GB HDD.  It's
> internal battery went dead, so now may look to move to another newer
> laptop.
>
> One big thing noted in older posts to linux-ham was ability to build sound
> modem apps on 2.6 kernels. Though Knoppix 3.4 reportedly has 2.6 kernel
> support, I have not been able to successfully boot into the 2.6 kernel on
> any of the 3 other PCs that boot Knoppix 3.4 with 2.4 kernel OK.
>
> Perhaps as the 2.6 kernel support matures we could more actively work on a
> Knoppix fork with soundcard support including perhaps WINE enabled version
> of MixW ??
>
> Cheers de Mark W4CHL
>

> Mark R. Smith  Chapel Hill, NC
> http://rtpnet.org/parc

Rein at Couperus.com or PA0R at EUDXF.ORG
http://www.couperus.com
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tlf