[Linux-ham] Ham firmware for WRT54G?

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Tue Mar 8 10:05:13 EST 2005

On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 09:51:03AM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> Is there a ham specific version of firmware for the Linksys WRT54G ...

None to my knowledge.  A brief Google search of "ham radio wrt54g" turned up
a bunch of brainstorming of similar fare, but nothing difinite yet.

> What do people think?

Even if a modified firmware didn't exist, you can still do interesting
things with a wireless bridge (such as a Linksys WET11 or its kin) and a
standard ethernet card.  The thing to investigate would be how well ad-hoc
mode would work and things like the "hidden node" problem.  The Linux AX.25
stack has functionality to encapsulate itself in both IP and in the old BPQ
Ethernet frames.  Using BPQETHER in concert with ad-hoc may actually mimic
the current AX.25 networks to a degree (untested).  This sort of thing could
be used to provide transport services for legacy networks while we build out
the next generation of packet.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5