[Linux-ham] Ham firmware for WRT54G?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:15:23 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:05:13 -0500, Kevin Otte <nivex at nivex.net> wrote:
> None to my knowledge.  A brief Google search of "ham radio wrt54g" turned up
> a bunch of brainstorming of similar fare, but nothing difinite yet.

Yeah, that was my impression too.
> Even if a modified firmware didn't exist, you can still do interesting
> things with a wireless bridge (such as a Linksys WET11 or its kin) and a
> standard ethernet card.  The thing to investigate would be how well ad-hoc
> mode would work and things like the "hidden node" problem.  The Linux AX.25
> stack has functionality to encapsulate itself in both IP and in the old BPQ
> Ethernet frames.  Using BPQETHER in concert with ad-hoc may actually mimic
> the current AX.25 networks to a degree (untested).  This sort of thing could
> be used to provide transport services for legacy networks while we build out
> the next generation of packet.

Well, here's a good question.  What exactly would people want to do?  Replace
the current packet network?  Create an ad hoc mesh network that did
Something else?

Also, realistically what type of range can we get with the 2.4GHz
band?  Looking at
ebay, I see a bunch of 2.4GHz amplifiers like this one:

We'd need to be able to get more range than standard 802.11 stuff gets
right now, I

Tanner Lovelace
clubjuggler at gmail dot com
increscent, all sable.