[Linux-ham] Ham firmware for WRT54G?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 10:15:23 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 10:05:13 -0500, Kevin Otte <nivex at nivex.net> wrote:
> None to my knowledge.  A brief Google search of "ham radio wrt54g" turned up
> a bunch of brainstorming of similar fare, but nothing difinite yet.

Yeah, that was my impression too.

> Even if a modified firmware didn't exist, you can still do interesting
> things with a wireless bridge (such as a Linksys WET11 or its kin) and a
> standard ethernet card.  The thing to investigate would be how well ad-hoc
> mode would work and things like the "hidden node" problem.  The Linux AX.25
> stack has functionality to encapsulate itself in both IP and in the old BPQ
> Ethernet frames.  Using BPQETHER in concert with ad-hoc may actually mimic
> the current AX.25 networks to a degree (untested).  This sort of thing could
> be used to provide transport services for legacy networks while we build out
> the next generation of packet.

Well, here's a good question.  What exactly would people want to do?  Replace
the current packet network?  Create an ad hoc mesh network that did
self-routing?
Something else?

Also, realistically what type of range can we get with the 2.4GHz
band?  Looking at
ebay, I see a bunch of 2.4GHz amplifiers like this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61815&item=5758052139&rd=1

We'd need to be able to get more range than standard 802.11 stuff gets
right now, I
think...

Thoughts?

Cheers,