[Linux-ham] Asterisk as a repeater

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 16 09:48:41 EST 2006

Yeah, this is the same guy who setup "Limey Linux" which I've played
around with a bit to see if I could get asterisk running on it.  It really
needs 256MB of RAM, though, and my test system only has 128.

I've actually wondered about putting together a system similar to
IRLP or Echolink using Asterisk connected repeaters.  If you've ever
looked into the details of IRLP, it's quite horrible.  It works well, but
it's a maintanence nightmare! (mostly shell scripts and then some
closed source version of SpeakFreely).  My thought, if I were going
to redesign it, would be to go with something like SIP or better yet
IAX2 and make it open.  Also, combining it with Asterisk would making
doing an Autopatch extremely simple! :-)

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Tanner

On 3/15/06, Kevin Otte <nivex at nivex.net> wrote:
> As look back at the archives, I suddenly realized that N4JMT posted this
> exact same URL back in Sept 2005.  Great minds think alike, I guess :)
>
> --
> Kevin Otte, N8VNR
> nivex at nivex.net
> http://www.nivex.net/
>
> -=-
>
> "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
> -- George Santayana
>
> "It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
> -- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

Tanner Lovelace
clubjuggler at gmail dot com
http://wtl.wayfarer.org/