[Linux-ham] radios

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 17:14:15 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Tanner Lovelace <clubjuggler at gmail.com> wrote:
>> FWIW, most HTs do accept external antenna connections and output 5W+...
>
> I disagree, especially since Greg is in Youngsville.  That's exactly
> why I've moved away from using my HT in the car and gone entirely to
> mobile radios.

I agree with Tanner.  If you want to make a go of mobiling on 2m or
440, invest your money in a decent mobile rig.  Then run it off the
car's electrical system (either battery connected or through the key
block) rather than the cigarette lighter/power outlet.  Even when I
was using a Yaesu VX5r at 5w connected to a dual band antenna on the
back of my car, it was hard for me to get into any repeater I wasn't
on top of geographically.

> 146.88 - Located in SE Raleigh, towards Clayton
> 442.150 - Located in Chapel Hill
> 146.64 - Located at the fairgrounds in Raleigh
> 147.225 - Located at the intersection of I-40 & I-85
> 444.1 - Located at the VA hospital in Durham
> The 440 link system - located all over (and therefore more likely to be closer)

Spending a lot of time in Morrisville, 146.64 (RARS) is basically
useless to me and I don't care for the way some of their club members
treat people.  88 and 442.150 (OCRA) work well for me and I can
usually get one of the other TriLUG hams easily.

73 de Matt
KI4URB