[Linux-ham] radios

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:26:19 EDT 2008

I'm cool with using a mobile in the car, but is there any that are designed
to be unhooked from power and antenna in the vehicle and carted indoors to
use as a home base station?  I'm more likely to transmit from home than in
my vehicle.  Unless I'm driving to or from the outer banks in which case I'd
obviously be mobile.

I'm somewhat taken by the Yaesu 857D but I don't have the money lying around
at the moment so purchasing is out of the question.

http://yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=8CBB7C4BDBAF40129AD4253A4987523C&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

I'll probably still start with a hand-held.  This will at least let me
listen at work (downtown Durham).

But thanks everyone for your thoughts regarding what I should get for a home
or mobile base station.  The higher power levels will be needed where I am
located.

Greg