[Linux-ham] need equipment suggestions

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 12:16:52 EDT 2009

2009/3/15 Greg Brown <gwbrown1 at gmail.com>:
> I am able to install an antenna on the house but nothing
> "spectacular"- the neighbors might get bitchy if I try to put up a massive
> tower in the back yard.

Put a dual band Ventenna - http://www.ventenna.com/Ham-Pricing.html on
your roof.  Make sure you feed it with some low-loss LMR type cable, though.
That's what I have on my roof connected to an Icom IC-207 (dual band, but
not dual receive - http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic207h.htm ) and it works very
well.  If you want cross-band repeat, I really like my Kenwood TM-733a. It
does dual band/dual receive and will cross-band repeat.

For your vehicle, you might want to consider something like a Kenwood TM-D700
(ebay link - http://tinyurl.com/dfpupu ).  That will get you dual
band, dual receive
and APRS.  Couple that with a good dual band antenna and you're set for
the car.

Cheers,
Tanner
--