[Linux-ham] Is LMR-400 cable all the same?

donroden at hiwaay.net donroden at hiwaay.net
Wed Mar 25 16:20:29 EDT 2009

I use type N connectors because I find them easier to install than UHF.
( just my preference, and the way I do things )

I fan the braid out over the gasket cutter ring and use a 300 watt gun
and solder the braid all the way around ( the hotter the gun, the
quicker the solder flow and less total heat on the dielectric ) cool
it with a can of compressed air.  Then I trim the braid with a side
cutter.  This way, there is no chance of the connector shorting out
due to loose braid wires.  When you tighten the back nut, this makes a
connection that you can swing from.

My advice is to never rely on an "N" connection unless you solder the braid.

Don WA4NPL