[Linux-ham] G8BPQ on PI and TNC-PI

Tadd Torborg tadd at mac.com
Wed Feb 5 02:11:57 EST 2014

I’m working on several documents and some tests.  I’m still working on setting up a baby packet network.

I did this over the past couple of weeks — not ready for prime time yet.
http://www.torborg.com/images_for_postings/2014_02_02/012_from_scratch_TNC-PI_on_RaspBerry_PI.pdf

There are several things I do not know and for which I would love some input.  Feel free to send me an email and propose a time to make a landline call or Amateur Radio phone sched.

#1. How to I read the SD memory card and then make a copy of it using a MacOSX Mavericks computer, a MSWindows computer (are they all the same?), a Linux computer (are they all the same?).  I can test MacOSX and MSWindows but haven’t gotten this to work on either.  If you can help me with linux, please give me step by step and screen shots if possible.  Thanks.

#2. How to make the BPQ application launch automatically at reboot  (it lives at /home/pi/bpq/linbpq)

#3. How to make the BPQ application start automatically if it crashes or is told internally to quit

#4. How to make the BPQ application quit nightly and start up again.

#5. How to get the PI to go out to the Internet every night and read the bpq32.cfg file from a web server, move or delete the existing bpq32.cfg file, and replace it with the new one, before step#4 takes place.

#6.  What I don’t know?

Please comment on the document including stupid typos, or because of sad grammar that I had to, and the

My hamshack phone is 919-386-0311
When home or in the car I often monitor
53.45Mhz  131.8PL -split,    Chatham County repeater operated by OCRA
442.15  131.8PL +split,    Chatham County repeater operated by OCRA
From home I monitor these as well:
146.52 simplex,   — I live off of Creedmore Rd in north Raleigh.  I can talk down into downtown and weak to east Raleigh.
443.625 88.5pl +split   north Raleigh repeater operated by RARS

This is a coverage map showing what i can talk to on simplex (or packet).  Only the middle area works to low power stations.  The dark blue area works for HT with rooftop antennas or 25 watt mobiles.  The light blue areas would require a 50’ high antenna and 25 watts, I think.  We can always give it a try.
http://www.torborg.com/images_for_postings/2014_02_02/coverage_plot_440_7db_8m_to_5m_ka2dew.jpg

Tadd, KA2DEW