[Linux-ham] AX.25 quickstart guide

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Thu Feb 20 00:35:41 EST 2014

No. ax25d is somewhat akin to inetd in that the socket is handed off to
some other program.

I gather you're looking for a way to route a connection to the human in
the shack. This was traditionally done with a program called ttylinkd,
but that interacted with talk, which has gone the way of the dodo. I
tried getting talkd working with it to no avail.

I found a new tool called ax25xmpp
(https://github.com/jgoerzen/ax25xmpp) but have not tried it out yet.
You could use something like Prosody to set up a small Jabber server on
the LAN to use with it.

Hopefully the above gives you some ideas. At their basic level, these
things are just reading on stdin and writing on stdout. You could write
a shell/Perl/Python/Lua script to send the bits wherever you like. Big
LED sign in the shack? Text to speech engine?

73 de Kevin N8VNR