[Linux-ham] Fwd: RARSfest News Feb. 2021

Scott G. Hall scott at hallcomm-inc.com
Fri Feb 5 02:44:36 EST 2021

The official name of the novel virus is SARS-COV-2 (Severe Acute Respiratory
Syndrome Coronavirus Type 2, or more simply SARS-2), and the disease that you
get from the virus is COVID-19 (Coronavirus Infectious Disease 2019).  There are
many hundreds of thousands of coronaviruses, including the seasonal flu and the
common cold.  The one that causes COVID-19 is almost identical to SARS-1, except
that it has a second receptor that can attach to cells and is thus more infectious.

What's the Difference Between SARS-CovV-2 and COVID-19? :
> /"Coronavirus" is a generic term that includes a large family of viruses,
> similar to saying someone has the flu. SARS-CoV-2 is a specific virus that can
> cause COVID-19, a disease. As //WHO
> <https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/technical-guidance/naming-the-coronavirus-disease-(covid-2019)-and-the-virus-that-causes-it>//explains,
> this is similar to differentiating HIV and AIDS — HIV is a virus that causes
> AIDS. Outlined on their website, "People often know the name of a disease,
> such as measles, but not the name of the virus that causes it (rubeola)."/
-
https://www.cleanlink.com/news/article/SARS-CoV-2-and-COVID-19-Whats-The-Difference--25264

See also:
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/lab/grows-virus-cell-culture.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severe_acute_respiratory_syndrome_coronavirus_2

It pisses me off that the news and general media keep using the term "COVID-19"
and "Coronavirus" and not "SARS-2" to refer to the virus, and yet they will use
the right terms for the other related viruses, MERS (Middle East Respiratory
Syndrome), SARS (SARS-1 now).

Other references:
"How Does SARS-CoV-2 Compare to SARS-CoV-1?"
https://www.news-medical.net/health/How-does-SARS-CoV-2-Compare-to-SARS-CoV.aspx

"How Do SARS and MERS Compare with COVID-19 (SARS-2)?"
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/how-do-sars-and-mers-compare-with-covid-19

--
Scott G. Hall
Chief Engineer/Owner