NC*SA is This Monday: Linux 2.6 Kernel Features

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 11 11:30:39 EST 2004

The next meeting of the North Carolina System Administrators
organization (NC*SA) is THIS Monday Night. Details about the meeting are
provided in this note.  We hope to see you there!

                    NC*SA General Meeting
               6:00 pm Monday, January 12, 2004
                     Dreyfus Laboratory
                 Research Triangle Institute
                  Research Triangle Park, NC

   Topic: Linux 2.6 Kernel
   Speaker: Mr. Hunter Matthews, Sys Admin, Duke BioScience

   Sponsors: Duke University CS Lab
   Found At: http://www.cs.duke.edu/

Abstract:

Although most Linux distributions hype their ever-increasing release
numbers, the essential meat of Linux is the freely available kernel.
Currently, most distributions use the 2.4.x kernels but this is about to
change with the release of a new Linux kernel, version 2.6.x. Come hear
Hunter Matthews talk about the latest release of the Linux kernel. He
will explain what is new in the 2.6 kernel and why administrators care.

Linux has become an important technological, economic, political and
social force in computing. Large groups of people (schools, communities,
governments) are beginning to implement Linux on a wide scale because it
is freely available, freely upgradeable and enjoys a superior level of
support throughout the world. Linux Kernel 2.6 is the first update in
about 2 years, and could easily be called the "enterprise" version. Many
of the features or changes in 2.6 are specifically there to support
larger, business style computing.

Hunter Matthews is a well-known Local Linux Luminary and has had direct
affiliations with at least two pedagogical corners of the Research
Triangle. He is also the originator of the UNIX system administration
tool "Gromit", (because what you really want is a loyal dog to do all
the work for you.)

He is currently the unix system administrator for Duke Biology, and has
had direct involvement in Linux development during his 7 year tenure as
a unix system administrator. He encourages all administrators to never
take anything from strangers, esp on the net.

Our meetings are free and open to anyone with an interest in the topic
of the evening and/or system administration.  We will be providing food
and drink for the evening. If you have any questions please contact the
Steering Committee at:

  ncsa-steer at ncsysadmin.org

that list.)

A map of RTI is available at http://www.rti.org/images/campus.gif

Enter through the glass doors at the front; all of the doors except one
will be locked, but one will be open for our access.  Walk through the
lobby, go straight out the glass doors, across the patio, and straight
into Dreyfus Auditorium.