[NCSA] Reminder: June 14, 2010 NCSA MEETING - DOUGLAS DONOFRIO - SAS AND VMWARE 7PM

NC*SA Announcements List - Moderated ncsa-announce at ncsysadmin.org
Sat Jun 12 21:38:52 EDT 2010

REMINDER TO NCSA MEMBERS:

Next Meeting:

Topic: 	    	Using VMware in Support of an On-Demand Global Computing Cloud Environment
Speaker: 	Douglas Donofrio, SAS Institute Inc.
Time: 	    	Monday, June 14, 2010 7:00 - 9:00 PM
Place: 	    	UNC-TV RTP, NC
Directions:     http://www.unctv.org/aboutus/directions.html
NOTE:           Pizza and soda will be available.

Abstract:

In this presentation, we'll discuss how SAS Institute Inc., uses VMware, to provide an on-demand global computing cloud environment to meet critical business needs. The environment provides business units with a reliable and repeatable way to do customer demos, proofs-of-concept, and education classes. We'll look at how this environment works to meet these business needs, and review how the architecture leverages technology from VMware, NetApp, and IBM, plus an internally developed application. We'll also cover why and how the environment was virtualized using VMware.

Biography:

Douglas Donofrio is an IT Project Manager at SAS Institute, Inc., and is responsible for managing cross-functional teams needed to support and maintain an on-demand global computing cloud environment, as well as managing new projects and initiatives related to the cloud. Prior to joining SAS Institute in 2004, Mr. Donofrio spent eight years as a real-time, embedded systems programmer in the data- and tele-communications industries. Mr. Donofrio started his career as a communications and systems programmer, supporting the secured global communications network infrastructure at the headquarters for Air Force Intelligence.