Anyone Running Linux/Oracle?

Iztok Umek ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 15:40:24 -0000

"Lance A. Brown" <brown9@niehs.nih.gov> said:

> I have 5 Dell 6450s (Quad 700Mhz Pentium III Xeon, 2GB RAM, GigE network
> connection) running either Red Hat Linux 6.2 Enterprise Edition with
> Oracle 8i or RH 7.2 with Oracle 9i.  Each system has 3 18Gig SCSI drives
> in a RAID-1 plus hotspare configuration.  All Oracle data is stored on a
> Network Appliance F820 Filer via NFS mounts.   We are in the middle of
> migrating from 8i to 9i which is why we have the mix currently.
>
> This has proven to be a VERY stable and fast environment for us.  Before
> anyone asks, yes NetApss are qualified by Oracle to store Oracle DBs
> over NFS. :-)

We have couple of Dells ranging from 2650 to 6650s running Linux + Oracle from
8i to 9i. Different disk configurations, but all disks are within the box itself
so far.

At this point I am looking into "proof of concept" for 9i RAC configuration.

I am thinking of the following:

Oracle 9i RAC + Dell 1650 (2 processor) + NFS storage (at this point just
another box with NFS, that will be replaced with NAS solution).

Anyone has expereince with low cost 9i RAC + Linux solutions?