Oncall compensation questions

ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Mon, 01 Jul 2002 09:45:52 -0400

My experience for after scheduled hours on-call compensation has been:

Phone Support:  (time and one half, m-f), (double time, s-s, holidays),
1 hour min.
On-site: same as above except  4 hour min. and milage.

I usually considered one or two noise level calls, 5 minutes or so, a
week as part of the job/team effort and no $$ expected as the effort
may  fine it's way to my appraisal if my supervisor was aware of it. I
figured if I  expected an exceeds requirements this is a good place to
clock points.

The above examples were for "exempt" employees.

Federal guidelines cover "non-exempt" employees, however they were given
the above as it a better deal. No known unpaid time worked was allowed
for non-exempts.

With todays "company provided" cell-phones and pagers no one needs to
stay at home and be tethered to their phone. Backup coverage for away
evenings and weekends can be made in advance.

Hope this helps.

                      Helen Harrison
                      <Helen.Harrison@sas.com>         To:       "'ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org'"
                      Sent by:                          <ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org>
                      ncsa-discussion-admin@ncs        cc:
                      ysadmin.org                      Subject:  Oncall compensation questions

                      06/28/02 04:14 PM
                      Please respond to
                      ncsa-discussion

My company is researching industry practices for supplementary
compensation for oncall support. I am looking to hear from the folks on
this list how your employer handles this issue. If you wouldn't mind
taking a couple of minutes to answer the questions below I would greatly
appreciate it.

thanks, Helen

On-call is defined as a period of time, usually during non-standard
times of the employee's work day, where the employee is responsible for
carrying a phone or pager in order to learn of problems that he/she can
resolve. That resolution might come in the form of a simple follow-up
phone-call, or perhaps require extensive on-site visits and
troubleshooting.

1. Do you have employees that are required to be on-call during certain
non-standard work hours of the day, without premium payment? (yes / no)

If the answer to (1) is NO, then this questionnaire is complete. Just
respond back with that information.

If the answer is YES, then please complete the following questions.

2. Does your company pay a premium to employees, if they are on-call?
(yes / no)?

3. How is the premium calculated? (Eg: 4 hours at regular week per week)

4. Do you also pay another premium if the employee is actually called
on-site? (yes / no) If so, please explain.

5. If the employee resolves the problem from either their home non-work
location or by visiting the problem area on-site, do you pay
differently? (yes / no) If so, please explain.

6. What is the expected response time of a) the initial call-back, and
b) a visit to the problem site, if a visit is required? (eg: a) 30
minutes and b) 1 hour)

7. If you do not pay a premium for oncall support, do you provide any
other type of compensation? If so, what?

8. What is the name of your company or employer?

9. What is your company's primary business? (Manufacturing, software
development, University, etc)