Experiences with Sun Qube

Gantt Edmiston ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:01:56 -0400

For just playing around with it, you got a pretty good description.

I own one and have for about 1.5 years.  It's worked flawlessly
since I first powered it up.  I must agree with ALL of Mike's comments,
both positive and negative.  One additional negative, over the last 8
months,
the fans in the unit have gotten quite noisy.  I fixed some of this by
shutting
it down and going in it with a bottle of compressed air.  But it's not for a

desktop, open office environment, unless the aggregate noise level of the
office would make the fan hum not be noticeable.  I put mine on a shelf in
a closet and it's happy  in there and I don't hear it as much.

The included webserver *is* Apache and I did download, build and install
SSH just fine.   One initial negative that turned out to be not as
problematic
as I first assumed:  The power to the cube is via a transformer block and a
large DIN type plug that reminds me more of an old style keyboard connector.

There's no way to "lock" this plug into the back of the Qube and I had first

assumed I would have problems keeping it plugged in.  But this hasn't been
an issue.

I bought the top of the line model (at that time there were 3 models, not
sure
what's available now).  Mine came with 2 hard drives that were pre-mirrored.

ALL the administration is done via Web interface, and this custom front-end
does make it very trivial to maintain everything from a remote location.
Any
unix sysadmin should have no trouble at all getting this up and running.

There's lots of thought put into this product.  I use it as my personal/home

webserver, home-based network storage and backup device for my other
home systems.

I give it a high recommendation.  Especially since Sun seems to have
continued the
support and development, since they acquired Cobalt almost 18 months ago.

Helen, if you have any specific questions, feel free to contact me and I'll
answer
them as best I can.

Regards --> Gantt