Public Key Server

Mike Broome ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:46:09 -0500

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 01:23:17PM -0500, Shaw Family wrote:
> Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> >
> > My key is on www.keyserver.net .  I thought all of the key servers were
> > supposed to be connected though?
> >
> > --Jeremy
>
> I just threw mine out on keyserver.net also.  I was able to confirm this
> by performing a lookup on my email address.  I still have to pull down
> EnigMail and drop it in Netscape  in order to get some real use.
>
> (BTW, I am sending this to the NCSA list because I would like to know
> also - I thought all of the key servers where linked?  And if not who is
> the "KeyMaster" and who is the "GateKeeper"?  - (Ghostbuster's reference
> intended!))

The way I understand it, all (?) of the keyservers are linked, but there
can be propagation delays.  I checked the FAQ at pgp.mit.edu and at
www.keyserver.net, and both mention that the keys they get are sent on
to other servers (although they don't say which ones).  The FAQ at
www.keyserver.net specifically says to only send updates to one
keyserver and the update with be spread to all the other keyservers.

Mike

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org