Linux .vs. Solaris reliability

Tom Felbinger ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 08:16:53 -0500 (EST)

Hi Folks,

Let me preface this by saying I don't want to start a long running
thread.  I would really just like a response to the multiple choice question
posted at the end.  I'd be happy to summarize the results.

My user base runs lots of CPU + memory intensive applications.  They
really like the performance that the H/W running Linux provides, but
it seems that these systems (from an operating system point) are alot less
stable/reliable than their Solaris counterparts.

We currently run Redhat 7.1, 7.2, and 7.3 as well as Solaris 7 and 8.

In my opinion, the following is the most accurate statement:

( ) Redhat Linux 7.X is significantly less reliable than Solaris.
( ) Redhat Linux 7.X is somewhat less reliable than Solaris.
( ) Redhat Linux 7.X is just as reliable as Solaris.
( ) Redhat Linux 7.X is somewhat more reliable than Solaris.
( ) Redhat Linux 7.X is significantly more reliable than Solaris.

Thanks for the feedback!!!

  * Tom Felbinger                                   Synopsys, Inc.     *
  * Systems Administrator                           1101 Slater Road   *
  *                                                 Suite 300          *
  * Tom.Felbinger@synopsys.com                      Durham, NC 27703   *