SUN and EMC2 CLARiiON?

James Brigman ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 12:02:55 -0500

Iztok;

There's an entire suite of tools and drivers you need to get in order to get
the Sun box to see the Clariion, because the Clariion uses the concept of
"luns", which are not native to Solaris. (Well, they might be now, but not
the last time I did this...)

Before installation, a boot-reconfigure will not help you to see the drives,
because all you can see from the Sun box are the controllers for the
Clariion unit. The Sun box will try to talk to the controllers, but get back
something it can't understand when it does.

When you install the clariion drivers, the devices created are pseudo
devices so the Sun box can see the target:lun. In fact, this is a "feature"
of using the Clariion with the Sun box and the pseudo-drivers: you can never
do a boot -r or reconfigure all the drives because it'll destroy the pseudo
drivers for the Clariion. Re-installation of the Clariion drivers must be an
explicitly stated component of the disaster recovery plan for the server.
You might be able to burn a disk image to tape or whatever, but you cannot
use that image if the disk configuration of the server changes, because the
lun construction for the Clariion unit will be different if the devices on
the Sun server change.

It's possible that some clever people may have posted the install process on
the 'net somewhere, but it's not trivial. If it makes you feel any better,
connecting a Clariion to a sun box isn't considered a typical "user
function". I had to get factory training to do it and the last time I was
around one, Clariion did the install themselves anyway, because the NT-based
monitoring console for the clariion was new since I'd been trained.

JKB