looking to setup a wifi network

Tanner Lovelace ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
24 Nov 2002 19:28:32 -0500

--=-8sr6hNJE9C67JeFWsmdL

On Sun, 2002-11-24 at 18:31, Bryan C. Andregg wrote:

> This is hard to say. The current standard 802.11 has three branchs: 'a', =
which
> is older and you don't need to worry about,=20

I would disagree that you don't need to worry about 'a'.  I believe you
may be referring to just straight 802.11, which is quite old and no one
is doing anything with it anymore.  'a', however, is quite a different
beast.  While 'b' and 'g' operate in the 2.4 GHz band, 'a' operates
in the 5 GHz band at much higher data rates (on the order of 50 Mbps,
as opposed to 'b' which is goes at 11 Mbps).  In addition, many
manufacturers are starting to come out with dual band equipment right
now that will do both 'a' and 'b'.  I would personally suggest going
with something like that because, although 'b' is the current standard,
there is much more room to grow in the 5GHz band that 'a' operates on.
I believe that 'g' is doomed to not work all that well because the=20
2.4GHz band is just way too crowded (just try operating 802.11b and
a 2.4GHz phone at the same time).  By going with a dual band access
point, people with either wireless card will be able to connect.

Cheers,
Tanner Lovelace

--=-8sr6hNJE9C67JeFWsmdL

--=-8sr6hNJE9C67JeFWsmdL--