Seeing windows shares on Solaris

Joshua Baker-LePain ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:05:27 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 at 1:55am, James Brigman wrote

> Someone at one of the NC*SA meetings asked me if there was a way to see
> Windows shared disk space on a UNIX box. This was a surprising question to
> me, as I have never thought it important. However, I suppose it's possible
> that it could be important in the unusual situation of having Windows
> systems only as servers and a few UNIX systems as desktops.
>
> It's not quite the same as SAMBA: it's the reverse. While this might appear
> to be a matter of semantics, it isn't. My head started to hurt wondering why
> it couldn't be just a semantic issue....

Actually, Samba can still be the answer.  On Linux, one can simply 'mount
-t smbfs' Windows shares.  Unfortuntaly, this looks (from the smbmount(8)
man page on the Samba site) to be Linux specific.  For other *nixs, there
is smbclient, which offers an ftp like interface to windows shares.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering