web search engine?

Jeremy Portzer ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
04 Oct 2002 11:20:56 -0400

On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 10:52, Daniel E Singer wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, Patti Johnson wrote:
>
>  > If I'm not in the right place to post this or if there's another
>  > place, please correct/direct...
>  >
>  > We're looking for a search engine for our campus web.  We have
>  > been/are using IIS' index server but would like a little more.  In
>  > the past, we'd used Excite, until we migrated to an Alpha Win/NT
>  > box, which wasn't supported by excite; and since then, i can't find
>  > info on obtaining a license for their formerly-free search engine.
>  >
>  > What experience have you all had?  Recommendations?  Suggestions?
>
> Google searches work well and take very little of your time to set up
> and maintain.  All you need is something like this in your web page:
>
> 	<form method="GET" action="/cgi-bin/google_search">Search:
> 	<input name="lookup" size="15" maxlength="255"></form>

There's really no reason to use a separate CGI script, unless you have
other motives (such as logging what searches are done from your site).
You can just have the form submit go directly to Google.  And, there are
some neat options you can send Google to "brand" your search site a
little bit -- like adding your own banner image.

See http://www.google.com/faq_freewebsearch.html for all the gory
details.

But, of course you're limited to public web sites and to the frequency
of Google's indexing.  If you've got the big bucks, there's a Google
Search Appliance you can buy that can do internal searches too.  Prices
are not posted on the web site. :-)

--Jeremy Portzer