an open source browser-based email product

Jay Cuthrell ncsa-discussion@ncsysadmin.org
Mon, 26 May 2003 21:33:39 -0400

Lisa Lorenzin wrote:
[snip]
> names that came up:
[snip]
> communigate (www.stalker.com)

Disclaimer: We use Communigate products.

Communigate is closed source.  There is an active mailing list.

Related to your Exchange issues...

Last year, I talked the IT director of a very large Exchange shop where
the IT department got "right sized".  As a result, they had to look for
cheaper ways to deliver Exchange-like functionality.  They ended up
moving to CommuniGate Pro using IMAP/webmail (executives,sales), POP
(office dwellers).

CGP comes with a skin based webmail interface that you may like.  Also,
there is no IMAP overhead for CGP's built in webmail.  It's directly
accessing the mail spool.  As a result, it can perform very well.

If you want to make use of an already installed Outlook XX base (or ease
migration from Exchange) you can look into their MAPI product.

http://www.stalker.com/CommuniGatePro/MAPI.html

We've tried it, and while not all the Outlook/Exchange features are
there, a significant number are.  At least the ones I tend to use.  More
importantly, they also have a full disclosure of what does and does not
work.

http://www.stalker.com/MAPI/problems.html

-Jay

--