setting up a local outbound mailserver at home for dialup

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Tue Nov 18 08:02:17 EST 2003

I have a group of machines at home NAT'ed behind a linux router/dial-up
box. All machines are on 192.168.1.0/24.

If I send e-mail from one of these machines I will usually get a refusal
from the recipient because of a failure in reverse DNS. Presumably DNS
can't resolve my local internal domain name because it is private.

If I use my ISP's outbound mailserver (eg mail.isp.net) as the first
hop for my mail (eg when using netscape as the mail client), I am asked
for my username/passwd for the first mail. After that, all mail is
forwarded without a request for authentication.

I would like to setup mail at home so that the outbound mailserver
for local machines is my router (192.168.1.1), so that internal machines
do not have to be re-configured when I'm using a different ISP (I move
my setup from place to place occassionally and wind up using different
ISPs).

I then need to setup the router so that it can handle the authenticion
request from the ISP, without user intervention or it can send directly to
the recipient. If I went the latter route, would it work if I bound the
MTA to the dynamic IP on the outside of the router? (Presumably this
dynamic IP is reverse DNS-able by the recipient). If binding to the
dynamic IP works, then presumably the MTA at 192.168.1.1 which is
forwarding mail from user on the boxes on the NAT'ed network, will
have to be setup to forward mail to the MTA on the dynamic IP.

Any thoughts?

Thanks Joe

mailto:jmack at wm7d.net - azimuthal equidistant map
It's GNU/Linux!