The /usr/bin/mail program on *nix

Joseph Mack mack.joseph at epa.gov
Mon Nov 24 10:19:30 EST 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> mail is not an MTA.

yes

> When you send a message via "mail", you are just passing the message on
> to the local MTA,

didn't realise this.
I had assumed that it was connecting to the MTA at the recipient's
end, but didn't really know.

I was having problems getting mail out. It seems like just about
every avenue had some block on it (passwd for mail being sent by
netscape, reverse DNS lockout for mail sent from MTA on
a dialup box), and the last one I didn't realise was that my
local MTA didn't relay. I haven't had a chance to go back and
fix that one to see if I have one avenue out.

> You can verify this by on Linux by running "strace" on a mail process,

hadn't thought of that

> or by looking at the source code.

of course (coff) it's the first thing I do.

Joe

SAIC, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007
Federal Contact - John B. Smith 919-541-1087 - smith.johnb at epa.gov