2004 USENIX ATC Call for Papers (40045) (fwd)

Daniel E Singer des at cs.duke.edu
Tue Sep 30 10:29:03 EDT 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Andrea_Arpaci-Dusseau at usenix.org
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:35:50 -0700 (PDT)

USENIX Annual Technical Conference
June 27-July 2, 2004, Boston, Massachusetts
http://www.usenix.org/usenix04/

Dear Colleague,

On behalf of the 2004 USENIX Annual Technical program committee, we
invite you to contribute your ideas, proposals, and papers for our
Invited Talk, Refereed Paper, and Special Interest Group (SIG)
tracks, or for Work-in-Progress reports.

We are also pleased to announce that in response to your feedback,
the 2004 program has been reorganized and expanded. The new format
will include additional tutorials, more security breakthroughs, and
extra sessions devoted to Linux and Open Source Software.

Whether you choose to submit a paper to the General Session or the
FREENIX track or to send a proposal for the new Special Interest Group
sessions, we invite you to join the community of programmers,
developers, and systems professionals in sharing solutions and fresh
ideas.

Call for Papers, General Session Refereed Papers
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/general.html

We welcome original and innovative papers about modern computing
systems, emphasizing implementations with measured results. Possible
topics include, but are not limited to:

* Administration-free systems 		* Benchmarking
* Deployment experience			* Distributed and parallel systems
* Embedded systems			* Energy/power management
* File and storage systems		* Mobile systems
* Networking and network services	* Operating systems
* Reliability and availability		* Security, privacy, and trust
* Virtual machines			* Web technology
* Usage studies & workload characterization

IMPORTANT DATES:
* Submissions due: 		December 16, 2003, 11:59 p.m.  EST
* Notification to authors: 	February 4, 2004
* Camera-ready papers due: 	May 4, 2004

Please note that December 16 is a hard deadline; no extensions
will be given.

Submission guidelines and conference details are available on our
Web site:

http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/generalsubmit.html

Call For Papers, FREENIX Track
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/freenix.html

FREENIX is the USENIX Annual Technical Conference's forum on free
and open source software. We are looking for a variety of types of
submissions, including project reports, academic studies,
and both successful and unsuccessful usage and development
experiences. The 2004 FREENIX track will put
special emphasis on two related areas:

I. Userland Application and Systems Development
	*  Desktop applications
	*  P2P and Web-based systems
	*  Libraries, toolkits, and infrastructure
	*  Scripting languages and applications
	*  Novel algorithms and applications
	*  System management and software development tools
	*  Print systems

II. Free and Open Source Software Engineering
	*  Project-centric: Software specification and design
	   methodologies, novel implementation techniques, testing,
	   deployment, readability and security, performance and
	   scalability
	*  Process-centric: Team governance, administration, and
	   management; planning and forecasting; measuring progress
	   and assessing quality
	*  Integrating tools and methodologies

We welcome submissions on a wide variety of additional
topics, including:

*  Documentation
*  Current examples of development and management of free software
*  Graphical user interface tools
*  Interesting deployments of free software
*  Large-scale system management
*  Security
*  Nontechnical aspects of free software (business, legal, etc.)
*  Software development, system, and user management tools
*  Technical aspects of commercial use of free software

IMPORTANT DATES:
* Submissions due: 		December 16, 2003
* Notification to authors: 	February 4, 2004
* Camera-ready papers due:	April 8, 2004

Submission guidelines and conference details are available on our Web
site:

http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/freenixsubmit.html

Call for Proposals, Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
http://www.usenix.org/events/usenix04/sigs.html

New in 2004, a single track devoted to Special Interest Groups will be

offered. These sessions will run in parallel with the
technical sessions. A SIG may be informal and composed of a
community bound by a common interest. SIGs confirmed as of
9/26/03 are UseLinux and Security.

We are currently seeking proposals for SIGs. A sampling of possible
topics:

*BSD				*Sysadmin
*Client Computing		*Beowulf/Clusters
*Apple/Mac OS X			*Desktop/Gnome/KDE
*Integration			*Tools
*Languages			*Databases
*Messaging/Collaboration

To submit a proposal for a SIG, please email Ellie Young,
ellie at usenix.org.

Please join us in developing the best technical conference program
ever! We look forward to your submissions.

On behalf of the USENIX '04 Organizing Committee,

Andrea Arpaci-Dusseau, University of Wisconsin, Madison
Remzi Arpaci-Dusseau, University of Wisconsin, Madison
2004 General Session Program Chairs
usenix04chairs at usenix.org

Bart Massey, Portland State University
Keith Packard, Hewlett-Packard Cambridge Research Lab
2004 FREENIX Program Chairs
freenix04chairs at usenix.org

SAGE members, and conference attendees who asked to receive our
periodic announcements. If you no longer wish to receive our
announcements, please reply to this message and include the word
REMOVE in the body. Please do not alter the subject line, as we need
your ID number in order to process your request.

If you wish to send email to Andrea_Arpaci-Dusseau, please use
annual03chairs at usenix.org. Andrea_Arpaci-Dusseau at usenix.org is for
automated list management only.

If you have any questions about the mailing list, please send email
to office at usenix.org.