wildcard certificate questions

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Thu Jan 8 14:12:54 EST 2004

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 lorenw at email.unc.edu wrote:

> I am researching certificate options as one of our current
> certs will be expiring soon.

certs are a scam as far as I'm concerned.

> One option under consideration is to purchase a wildcard certificate to
> cover our current systems and any future ones as well.  My questions
> are:

I don't know what your business is, but unless you're selling widgets to
the general public, who know nothing about the business and who are
alarmed when your browser says it knows nothing about your CA, you should
be able to self sign a cert. This will go fine with a restricted
knowlegeable set of clients who know who you are and what you do.

I register for and attend a conference each year which uses self signed
certs.

Joe