setting up a local outbound mailserver at home for dialup

mack jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jan 14 13:46:29 EST 2004

Nothing to it ;-\

I got it to work with sendmail.

The problem was

1. I have to send mail via the ISP's mailserver (mail.isp.net)
2. The ISP's mailserver wants a username/passwd if I mail with the netscape
client
(but not if I use `mail`). I wanted to not have to send the username/passwd
3. I have a network of machines at home NAT'ed behind a dialup machine.
4. If I run sendmail on the dialup machine and tell it to use
SMARTHOST=mail.isp.net
and tell all machines on the local network to use the dialup box as their
SMARTHOST,
then I don't get the username/passwd problem anymore.
5. However now all mail (including mail between machines on the home network)
is sent to mail.isp.net and it doesn't know where to deliver mail for my
home machines.

The thing to do is not to use a SMARTHOST, but on the dialup box,
to have a mailertable of the form

# default route
. esmtp:mail.isp.net
# route for *.my.domain
.home.net       esmtp:%1%0

Mail to .mack.net (192.168.1.0/24) gets sent to the target machine
directly (like explicit routes), while all else gets sent to the SMARTHOST.

Joe