mounting ext3 disk with uid=nobody,gid=nogroup

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jan 30 20:11:12 EST 2004

(linux, 2,4,24, libc-2.1.3, mount-2.11z)

I want to samba export some disk realestate so that windows machines have
a scratch area. The ownership needs to be nobody.nogroup (although I
don't remember why). If I have a vfat fs I can mount it with the following
entry in /etc/fstab

/dev/hda6   /win   vfat noauto,uid=nobody,gid=nogroup   0 0

My fs are all ext3, rather than vfat and I find that if the fstype is ext3
it won't allow the uid (or gid) option. Even

/dev/hda6  /scratch ext3 uid=root

is not accepted. man 8 mount says that the uid,gid options are available
for all fstype (at least by my reading).

There is little help in google.

I can solve the problem by making loopfs on the ext3 partition and
formatting it as an msdosfs and mounting it as vfat, but is seems an awful
cludge.

Is this the best I can do?

Thanks Joe