Linux Server Backup Solutions

Sean O'Connell sean at ee.duke.edu
Thu May 13 13:24:30 EDT 2004

When I was at Duke, I made heavy use of amanda to back up both solaris
and linux servers with the one drawback being that amanda cannot span
tapes. If you are willing to overlook this and have budget for tape (I
recommend LTO-2 .. very fast) hardware, amanda is great.

If you are interested in a commercial product that spans tapes, we
(Office of Engineering Computing at UCSD) make use of a product called
NetVault by Bakbone (www.bakbone.com) that runs on Linux, FreeBSD,
Solaris, AIX, HPUX, Irix, OSX, Windows, etc. The folks here have been
pretty happy with the product (I have not used it as I don't work on
that aspect of our infrastructure).

http://www.bakbone.com/products/backup_and_restore/netvault.asp

Sean