Linux Server Backup Solutions

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Thu May 13 16:27:56 EDT 2004

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 11:10:22AM -0400, Bill Morris wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
>   I was wondering what backup solutions members
> are using for their Linux servers? This will be a
> production box, so it will have to be a dependable
> backup system.
>
>   It will be a Compaq Proliant DL380 G2 or G3. It will
> be running Novell SUSE LINUX Enterprise.

<evangelist_mode>
Have you looked at Bacula?  I've been using it for about three years
now.  It's still a developing project, but it's stable, flexible, and
easy to use; we've had significant numbers of folks switching to it from
Legato, Arkeia and Amanda already.  It handles multiple platforms
including Win32 clients (with Mac client support under development), can
back up to about any storage medium you can come up with (disk, tape, DVD,
whatever), understands autochangers, and has bare-metal
disaster-recovery capabilities on some platforms (including Linux).

http://www.bacula.org
http://sourceforge.net/projects/bacula
</evangelist_mode>

If you decide to give it a try, I can offer free setup assistance to get
you off the ground.  We also have a support channel on irc.freenode.net
(#bacula, of course).

 :  alaric at caerllewys.net|phil-stracchino at earthlink.net|phil at novylen.net  :