Linux Server Backup Solutions

Richard Braun braun at cs.duke.edu
Fri May 14 12:29:33 EDT 2004

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> On Thu, 2004-05-13 at 21:07, James Brigman wrote:
>
>> If you're stuck with the Exabyte, buy lots of cleaning tapes and
>> use them often to keep the heads clean. It ought to work a tad bit
>> better that way. Then use the $$ cost of the cleaning tapes to
>> justify something sane, like a DLT.
>
> Last night at the TriLUG meeting, a number of people mentioned that
> cleaning tapes are a bad idea because their abrasive nature can wear
> out the drive heads after a while.  Any thoughts on that comment?

I'm feeling a need to repeat a bit of lore I gathered from my graduate
days...  We used Exabytes heavily (for data taking, not backups); I
think our usage accelerated the wear effects you would see from
backups.  The drives would be writing continuously (24/7, quite
literally) for weeks at a time.  And we experienced huge amounts of
write errors due to worn tape heads.  Eventually I heard that low-cost
8mm videos tapes, which many people used as opposed to the data-grade
tapes, were the culprit (Exabyte has docs online stating as much, if
not so emphatically).  Once we switched to data-grade (and refurbished
all our drives) the problem occured much less often.

This was several years ago, but I heard so many stories about Exabyte
tape problems, which grew into general disatifaction w/ tapes in
general, I can't help but wonder how much this fiasco influenced
future generations :)  I think some newer tapes, such as AIT, do not
require cleaning tapes, except very occasionally, as they continuously
clean their heads, though I haven't seen "warnings" about overcleaning
them.

--
rtb